Israeli rocket victims file lawsuit against North KoreaApril 10th, 2009 - 8:48 pm ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, April 10 (DPA) Thirty residents of northern Israel that were wounded by rockets fired from south Lebanon by Hezbollah during the 2006 Lebanon war have filed a lawsuit at the Washington District Court against the North Korean government, the Jerusalem Post daily reported Friday.
The plaintiffs in the $100 million suit say North Korea provided military training to Hezbollah and also constructed a series of bunkers which allowed the Iranian-backed guerrilla group to fire thousands of missiles at Israel during the war from below the
ground, thus avoiding detection by the Israel Air Force.
Hezbollah missiles killed 43 Israelis during the 33-day war, and wounded thousands more.
The plaintiffs, who named Hezbollah as a co-defendant in their suit, all hold US citizenship.
In their lawsuit, they cite a Congressional memorandum from May 8, 2008, prepared for the US House Foreign Affairs Committee which describes one of the North Korean-built facilities as “a 25 km underground tunnel that Hezbollah used to move troops.
“Hizbollah’s underground structures significantly improved its ability to fight against Israel during the Second Lebanon War in 2006,” the memorandum states.
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- rael should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Israel should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Hezbollah threatens to strike Israeli ships - May 26, 2010
- Model plane launched from Lebanon crashed into Israel - Aug 02, 2010
- UN extends peacekeeping mission in Lebanon - Aug 31, 2012
- Hezbollah chief praises Israeli border clash as 'heroic' - Aug 04, 2010
- Lebanese Army fires at Israeli jets flying over Lebanon - Dec 30, 2009
- Hezbollah says official was wounded, not killed in blast (Lead) - Oct 13, 2009
- Blast kills Hezbollah official in Lebanon - Oct 13, 2009
- Israel, Lebanon exchange fire on border - Aug 03, 2010
- Lebanese spying for Israel sentenced to death - Aug 18, 2010
- Israel on alert for Syrian weapons - Jul 19, 2012
- South says North Korea ready to carry out nuclear test - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: bunkers, foreign affairs committee, guerrilla group, hezbollah, hizbollah, house foreign affairs committee, israel air force, israelis, jerusalem post, korean government, lebanon war, memorandum states, military training, missiles, north korea, northern israel, plaintiffs, south lebanon, underground structures, underground tunnel