Israeli police arrest 10 for organ traffickingMay 26th, 2012 - 8:37 am ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, May 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Israeli police have detained 10 members of an international crime ring suspected of organ trafficking and illegal transplant surgeries, said an Israeli law enforcement source.
“The data that we have received indicates that an organ trafficking network that involved Israeli citizens has been operating here [in Israel], the source said.
“The suspects sought out donors who experienced financial difficulties and convinced them to sell their organs without warning of possible consequences and side effects, and without proper post-surgery treatment,” he added.
Though the names of the arrested suspects had not been made public yet, Moshe Harel, the kingpin of the trafficking ring, could be among them.
Harel had been sought for years by Kosovo authorities for his alleged involvement in organ trafficking and illegal transplant surgeries at a clinic in the Kosovo capital, Pristina, in 2008.
According to investigation, at least 30 illegal kidney removals and transplants were carried out in the clinic.
The donors were from poor eastern European and Central Asian countries, including Russia, Moldova and Kazakhstan. They were promised about 15,000 euros ($19,000) to become organ donors. The organs were later re-sold for between 80,000 and 100,000 euros ($100,000-$125,000).
The clinic was raided in 2008 after a Turkish man collapsed at Pristina airport while waiting for a flight to Istanbul after having his kidney removed.
- 16 Chinese held in kidney transplant racket - Mar 01, 2012
- Russia calls on EU, NATO over military actions in Kosovo north - Aug 10, 2011
- Cross blood group transplants conducted in India - Nov 11, 2011
- Strauss-Kahn charged in prostitution case - Mar 27, 2012
- US gang recruiting Russian women for strip clubs busted - Dec 01, 2011
- Jailed ex-Israeli president freed for seven hours - May 21, 2012
- China combats illegal organ transplants - Aug 13, 2012
- Court summons kidney scam kingpin from Jaipur - Jul 24, 2011
- 23 held in Poland for organ trafficking - Jul 06, 2012
- Donor organs go waste in Britain - Feb 13, 2012
- US worst human trafficker: Russia - Jun 26, 2012
- Spain carries out 94 organ transplants in 72 hours - Dec 06, 2011
- Israel frees Egyptian prisoners under swap deal - Oct 28, 2011
- Gang jailed for paedophile tours to Moldova - May 30, 2012
- Woman held for trying to sell own baby - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: asian countries, financial difficulties, international crime ring, israeli citizens, israeli law, israeli police, kingpin, kosovo, kosovo capital pristina, law enforcement source, moshe, organ donors, organ trafficking, organs, police arrest, removals, ria novosti, transplant surgeries, transplants, turkish man