Israeli planes hit targets in Gaza (Lead)February 2nd, 2009 - 5:58 am ICT by IANS
Gaza, Feb 2 (Xinhua) Israel launched a series of airstrikes Sunday night on several targets in the Gaza Strip, including a police station and the border area between Gaza and Egypt, witnesses said.Residents of the southern Gaza Strip town of Rafah, which borders Egypt, said that Israeli F-16 jets dropped at least four bombs at the border area between their town and Egypt, with no injuries reported.
Hasan Abu Jazzar, resident of Rafah, said Israeli F-16 warplanes hovered over Rafah town and dropped four heavy bombs at the borderline, aiming at destroying underground tunnels used for smuggling goods.
He said that tunnels’ owners and workers had evacuated the area earlier Sunday evening, after receiving warning text messages on their mobiles that they have to leave the area.
Abu Jazzar said that he saw dozens of families leaving their homes earlier this evening and moving to safer places in the northern area of the town, after receiving the same warning text messages in Arabic from Israel.
Earlier Sunday night, Israeli jets had twice struck an empty police station that belongs to the deposed government of Hamas in central Gaza Strip, and no injuries were reported, witnesses and security sources said.
The Israeli airstrikes on police station came hours after eight homemade rockets and mortar shells were fired from the Gaza Strip at Israeli communities in the vicinity of the enclave.
On Jan 18, Israel and Gaza militant groups declared a unilateral ceasefire separately, following a 22-day Israeli military offensive on the Gaza Strip that killed around 1,300 people.
- Israeli planes strike Gaza - Sep 16, 2010
- Israeli jets raid Gaza - Feb 12, 2012
- Three Palestinians killed in Gaza Strip - Sep 13, 2010
- Israeli airstrikes wound 10 in Gaza - Mar 20, 2010
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Israeli jets strike Gaza smuggling tunnels - Feb 03, 2010
- Israeli jets hit Hamas targets in Gaza, nine hurt - Jul 31, 2010
- Three killed in Israeli airstrike in Gaza - Aug 26, 2009
- Thousands of Palestinians, aid cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 12, 2010
- Israeli warplanes hit Hamas targets in Gaza - Jul 01, 2010
- 15 injured in Israeli airstrikes in Gaza - May 26, 2010
- Israel bombs tunnels in southern Gaza - Feb 02, 2009
- One killed after Israeli air strikes hit the Gaza Strip in response to rocket fire - Aug 17, 2011
- Around 16,500 Palestinians cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 25, 2010
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
Tags: border area, enclave, feb 2, gaza strip, hamas, hasan, homemade rockets, israeli communities, israeli jets, israeli planes, militant groups, mortar shells, police station, rafah, security sources, southern gaza strip, text messages, underground tunnels, unilateral ceasefire, xinhua