“Israeli linked” spy, terrorist network arrested by IranJanuary 11th, 2011 - 2:19 pm ICT by ANI
Tehran, Jan 11 (ANI): Iran’s Intelligence Ministry has reportedly detained a “network of spies and terrorists” allegedly connected to Israel and held them responsible for the assassination of a prominent scientist in 2009.
Massoud Ali-Mohammadi, a professor of physics was reportedly killed in January 2009 by a bomb attached to a parked motorcycle.
The Washington Post quoted the Intelligence Ministry as saying in a statement that months of widespread operations had led to the “deep infiltration” by Iranian intelligence agents of Israel’s spy agency, the Mossad.
This resulted in the discovery of “extremely important information on Mossad spy teams, which led to the arrest of some of these agents inside Iran. They have confessed to being trained by the Mossad and receiving all of their equipment from that agency,” it added.
Iran regularly says it has arrested spy rings or terrorists working for foreign intelligence agencies, but it rarely provides evidence to support the claims. However, the recent public statement, issued on the anniversary of the 2009 assassination, claimed that more details would be given at “an appropriate time.”
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said in November last year that three mysterious assassination attempts have been carried out against Iranian scientists since 2009, adding that the country’s nuclear program was sabotaged and at least temporarily sidelined by a computer virus.
Iran regularly accuses the United States, Israel and Britain of trying to destabilize the country.
The recent ministry statement said the alleged Mossad agents used bases in some European and non-European countries, and also neighbouring states. (ANI)
- Iran arrests all suspects in nuke scientists' killings - Jun 29, 2012
- Iran dismantles US-linked spy network, arrests 30 CIA agents - May 22, 2011
- Iran hangs assassin of nuclear physicist - May 15, 2012
- Iran sentences 13 for spying for Israel: TV - May 14, 2012
- 22 Azerbaijanis suspected of spying for Iran held - Mar 15, 2012
- CIA spy arrested in Iran? - Dec 17, 2011
- Man gets death for killing Iranian N-scientist - Aug 29, 2011
- Iran blames Israel for killing nuclear staff (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Iran spied upon from centres in neighbouring countries: MP - Nov 10, 2011
- Man held for spying near Ahmadinejad's helicopter - May 29, 2012
- Iran busts terror cell linked to Israel - Apr 10, 2012
- Iran blames CIA for Iranian nuclear official's killing - Jan 16, 2012
- Plot to kill Iranian president foiled in 2007: Tehran Times - May 14, 2012
- Egypt deports Iranian diplomat suspected of spying - May 30, 2011
- Iran holds first trial of 'CIA agent' - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: assassination attempts, computer virus, infiltration, intelligence agencies, intelligence agents, intelligence ministry, iran tehran, iranian intelligence, mahmoud ahmadinejad, massoud, ministry statement, mossad agents, neighbouring states, nuclear program, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, spy agency, spy rings, terrorist network, time president, washington post