Israeli jets strike Gaza smuggling tunnelsFebruary 3rd, 2010 - 6:36 am ICT by IANS
Gaza, Feb 3 (DPA) Israeli F-16s carried out an airstrike late Tuesday against underground smuggling tunnels at the Gaza Strip-Egypt border, witnesses and security sources said.
No casualties were reported.
The witnesses said that the Israeli warplanes circled over southern Gaza before rocketing the border area and destroying several tunnels.
Israel imposed a tight Gaza blockade more than two years ago, when the Palestinian coastal territory was seized by the Islamic militant movement Hamas. Since then, Palestinians have burrowed hundreds of tunnels and smuggled goods and fuel from Egypt into the enclave.
Israel said that Gaza Strip militants are also using tunnels to smuggle Iranian-supplied weapons and explosives into the Gaza Strip.
Earlier Tuesday, Israeli radio reported that a homemade rocket was fired from the Gaza Strip toward southern Israel. No damage or casualties were reported in the rocket attack, and there was no claim of responsibility.
The Israeli airstrike on the borderline area was carried out after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had vowed earlier Tuesday to retaliate after the discovery of floating explosives on Israel’s southern shores near Gaza.
- Israeli planes strike Gaza - Sep 16, 2010
- Israeli airstrikes wound 10 in Gaza - Mar 20, 2010
- Israeli jets hit Hamas targets in Gaza, nine hurt - Jul 31, 2010
- Three Palestinians killed in Gaza Strip - Sep 13, 2010
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Israeli jets raid Gaza - Feb 12, 2012
- Israeli jets raid Gaza targets - Aug 18, 2010
- Israel lauds its anti-rocket system - Mar 12, 2012
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Israeli planes strike in Gaza, three wounded - Nov 24, 2009
- 15 injured in Israeli airstrikes in Gaza - May 26, 2010
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- Israel fires at two Palestinians on Gaza border - Jan 18, 2011
- One killed after Israeli air strikes hit the Gaza Strip in response to rocket fire - Aug 17, 2011
- Israeli army strikes Gaza militant targets, four injured - Jan 02, 2010
Tags: benjamin netanyahu, blockade, border area, casualties, enclave, explosives, gaza strip, hamas, israeli airstrike, israeli jets, israeli prime minister, israeli radio, israeli warplanes, minister benjamin netanyahu, movement hamas, prime minister benjamin, rocket attack, security sources, southern israel, tunnels