Israeli jets hit Hamas targets in Gaza, nine hurtJuly 31st, 2010 - 4:12 am ICT by IANS
Gaza, July 31 (DPA) Nine Palestinians were injured late Friday when Israeli warplanes struck three separate targets in the Gaza Strip, which is ruled by the Islamic Hamas movement, medics and witnesses said.
The witnesses said they heard three successive explosions in western Gaza City in a strike aimed at a training compound belonging to Hamas security forces.
Medical sources said at least nine Palestinian police men were injured at the Hamas police training compound. They were taken by ambulances to the city’s main Hospital Shifa.
Hamas security sources said that the Israeli jet carried out two other airstrikes on eastern and southern Gaza Strip, in which no injuries were reported. The sources said the military planes targeted an empty area in eastern Gaza Strip and smuggling tunnels dug under the border area between Gaza Strip and Egypt.
The successive Israeli airstrikes came several hours after a Russian-made Grad rocket was fired from the Gaza Strip at the southern costal Israeli town of Ashkelon. Damage was reported, but there were no injuries.
The Popular Resistance Committee, a pro-Hamas militant group in Gaza claimed responsibility for the attack, saying that the Arab League decision to resume the direct peace talks with Israel “is absurd and useless”.
- Hamas leader killed in Israeli airstrike (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010
- Israeli jets raid Gaza - Feb 12, 2012
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Israeli army strikes Gaza militant targets, four injured - Jan 02, 2010
- Israeli airstrikes wound 10 in Gaza - Mar 20, 2010
- 15 injured in Israeli airstrikes in Gaza - May 26, 2010
- Israeli planes strike Gaza - Sep 16, 2010
- Israeli jets raid Gaza targets - Aug 18, 2010
- One killed after Israeli air strikes hit the Gaza Strip in response to rocket fire - Aug 17, 2011
- Israel fires at two Palestinians on Gaza border - Jan 18, 2011
- Three Palestinians killed in Gaza Strip - Sep 13, 2010
- US urges Palestinians, Israelis to end violence - Mar 13, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Israeli strike kills two in Gaza, Israel deploys anti-missile system - Mar 27, 2011
- Seven mortar shells fired from Gaza Strip into Israel - Dec 21, 2010
Tags: ambulances, border area, gaza city, gaza strip, hamas, hamas movement, israeli airstrikes, israeli jets, israeli town, israeli warplanes, medical sources, medics, militant group, military planes, palestinian police, peace talks, police men, police training, security sources, southern gaza strip