Israeli defence minister heads to US to discuss IranFebruary 27th, 2012 - 11:24 pm ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, Feb 27 (IANS) Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak Tuesday headed to Washington for talks with senior US officials about the Iranian nuclear programme.
The Israeli minister’s two-day US visit comes ahead of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s and President Shimon Peres’ scheduled visits next week, Xinhua reported.
“There are some security issues that apply to the defense minister. These sensitive issues (that will be discussed in Netanyahu’s visit) require early coordination and many talks,” said a senior political source explaining the objective of Barak’s visit.
Barak will meet senior US officials, including Vice President Joe Biden, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta, National Security Advisor Tom Donilon and other security and intelligence figures.
Prime Minister Netanyahu will leave for north America Thursday, first to Canada where he will meet Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, and then to Washington where he is to meet with US President Barack Obama as well as Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and senior congressmen.
President Peres, who will also leave for Washington this week, will meet Obama Sunday.
- US funding for Israeli air defence - May 18, 2012
- Israel closely monitoring Syrian violence - Jul 19, 2012
- Israeli minister denies plans to strike Iran - Nov 08, 2011
- Majority of Israelis oppose unilateral Iran strike: Poll - Mar 08, 2012
- Abbas, Netanyahu hold direct talks in Jerusalem (Lead) - Sep 16, 2010
- Panetta vows military action against Iran - Mar 07, 2012
- Wife of Israeli President Peres dead at 87 - Jan 21, 2011
- Israeli PM seeks world to set 'red line' for Iran - Sep 03, 2012
- Netanyahu calls for early polls in Israel - May 07, 2012
- Obama envoy hopes for early relaunch of Mideast peace talks - Oct 08, 2009
- Israeli defence minister to meet Palestine PM - Jul 05, 2010
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- Netanyahu leaves for US for peace talks relaunch - Aug 31, 2010
- Netanyahu wants US to threaten attack on Iran - Feb 29, 2012
- Brazil asks US for transfer of military technology - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: barack obama, benjamin netanyahu, canadian prime minister, canadian prime minister stephen harper, ehud barak, hillary clinton, intelligence figures, israeli defense minister, israeli minister, joe biden, leon panetta, minister benjamin netanyahu, national security advisor, president joe, prime minister benjamin, prime minister netanyahu, prime minister stephen harper, sensitive issues, shimon peres, stephen harper