Israeli attack on Iran will be big mistake: ElBaradeiMay 16th, 2009 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, May 16 (DPA) Mohamed ElBaradei, director-general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), has warned that any Israeli attack on Iranian nuclear facilities would be a great mistake.
“It would be utterly mad to attack Iran. That would turn the region into one giant fireball and the Iranians would immediately begin to build the bomb… supported by the entire Islamic world,” ElBaradei said in an interview with German news magazine Der Spiegel published Saturday.
The UN nuclear watchdog chief said the international community had for a long time ignored IAEA warnings about nuclear proliferation with the result that the risk that nuclear arms will be used has “significantly grown” along with “the risk the bomb will fall into the wrong hands”.
He appealed to Tehran to settle the issues with IAEA and offer a willingness to compromise in the light of offers from new US President Barack Obama: “I advise the people I meet from Iran: Shake the hand that Obama is offering you.”
ElBaradei’s term at the head of the Vienna-based agency ends this November.
- Israel would be insane to attack Iran: ElBaradei - May 17, 2009
- IAEA's top nuclear inspector resigns - Jul 01, 2010
- Egypt crisis: US sizing up ex-IAEA chief El-Baradei - Feb 01, 2011
- Iran uses new machines to enrich uranium: IAEA - Aug 10, 2010
- El-Baradei was 'too soft on Tehran', says WikiLeaks cable - Feb 10, 2011
- Iran refuses to send uranium stockpile out of country - Oct 30, 2009
- India votes against Iran nuclear program, Pakistan abstains - Nov 27, 2009
- World powers urge Iran to reconsider nuclear deal - Nov 20, 2009
- Iran on brink of nuclear weapon, warns UN watchdog - Sep 07, 2010
- IAEA chief secretly dealing with Iran to end nuclear sanctions - Nov 17, 2009
- Iran working on atomic bomb: IAEA - Nov 09, 2011
- IAEA officials to meet Iranian delegation Friday - Aug 22, 2012
- IAEA facing 'crisis of credibility', says Iran - Sep 20, 2010
- Iran warns IAEA against using 'language of force' - Nov 27, 2009
- IAEA trying to dry up A.Q. Khan network: ElBaradei - Sep 30, 2009
Tags: atomic energy agency, barack obama, der spiegel, director general, german news magazine, german news magazine der, giant fireball, great mistake, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, international atomic energy agency iaea, iranians, islamic world, israeli attack, mohamed elbaradei, nuclear arms, nuclear facilities, nuclear proliferation, spiegel, wrong hands