Israeli air strike kills one Palestinian in GazaJanuary 12th, 2011 - 1:49 am ICT by BNO News
GAZA (BNO NEWS) — The Israeli Air Force (IAF) on Tuesday killed one Palestinian after an air strike operation in the southern Gaza Strip, the Jerusalem Post reported.
The IAF operation was conducted in retaliation for the latest round of missiles fired at Ahskelon in southern Israel. The IAF strike on Tuesday killed a Palestinian man who was riding a motorcycle in southern Gaza.
Gaza emergency services identified the deceased as 25-year-old militant Mohammed A-Najar, who was killed instantly. A-Najar was suspected of planning terrorist attacks and launching rockets at Israel with militant cells.
On Monday, three rockets from the Gaza Strip struck the Ashkelon region just hours after the IAF hit two sites in Gaza. The recent operations in Gaza are being executed in retaliation against a rise in rocket and mortar attacks by Palestinian militants from the Gaza Strip.
However, Israel said last week that data from 2010 showed a drop in terrorist attacks. On Sunday, Hamas announced that it has begun talks with militant factions, urging them to stop firing rockets into Israeli territory as it is feared that the Jewish country may be considering another military offensive.
In the winter of 2008-2009, Israel launched a surprise airstrike against the Gaza Strip which marked the beginning of a three-week military conflict between Israel and Hamas, killing nearly 1,500 people and leaving thousands more injured and displaced.
In 2010, the Israeli Security Agency reported a total of 150 rocket launches from the Gaza Strip towards Israel. It represented a significant drop from 569 launches in 2009.
- Israel fires at two Palestinians on Gaza border - Jan 18, 2011
- One killed after Israeli air strikes hit the Gaza Strip in response to rocket fire - Aug 17, 2011
- Two rockets fired from Gaza into Israel despite announced ceasefire - Apr 16, 2011
- Seven mortar shells fired from Gaza Strip into Israel - Dec 21, 2010
- Israeli jets hit Hamas targets in Gaza, nine hurt - Jul 31, 2010
- Israeli jets raid Gaza - Feb 12, 2012
- Israel considers referendum on peace deal with Palestinians - Sep 22, 2010
- Israel retaliates for rocket attack with air strikes on Gaza strip - Jul 31, 2010
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- US concerned about attacks in Israel - Mar 11, 2012
- Hamas leader killed in Israeli airstrike (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010
- Three Palestinians killed in Gaza Strip - Sep 13, 2010
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- Israeli planes strike Gaza - Sep 16, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,