Israeli Air Force kills senior Islamic jihad commanderMarch 5th, 2009 - 4:48 pm ICT by ANI
Jerusalem, Mar 5 (ANI): Senior Islamic jihad commander Khaled Shalan was killed on Wednesday night in an Israeli Air Force missile strike on his car in Gaza.
Another member of the terror group was critically hurt in the attack on the vehicle that was traveling from Jabalya to Beit Lahiya, in northern Gaza.
According to the IDF, Shalan was responsible for the recent rocket fire on Ashkelon, The Jerusalem Post reported.
Hamas officials said the two jumped out of the vehicle when they heard the approaching aircraft, but were hit by the incoming missile. Five others were reportedly wounded in the strike.
Shortly after the attack, the Islamic Jihad vowed that it would retaliate.
The (attempted) assassination points to the fact that the Zionist entity is not interested in calm, the group said in a statement.
Therefore, (Israel should) expect our reaction, and more rockets. This crime will not pass without a response, the group warned.
Since the end of Operation Cast Lead in January, Palestinians have continued to fire rockets and mortar shells into Israeli territory, often provoking a military response.
On Tuesday, two waves of air strikes targeted smuggling tunnels along the Gaza-Egypt border, wounding seven people. (ANI)
- Seven mortar shells fired from Gaza Strip into Israel - Dec 21, 2010
- Israeli strike kills two in Gaza, Israel deploys anti-missile system - Mar 27, 2011
- Militants linked to al Qaeda fire mortar rounds at Israel - Nov 21, 2010
- Two rockets fired from Gaza into Israel despite announced ceasefire - Apr 16, 2011
- Israeli air strike kills one Palestinian in Gaza - Jan 12, 2011
- Some 17 injured after Israel strikes suspected terror tunnels in the Gaza Strip - May 26, 2010
- Israel fires at two Palestinians on Gaza border - Jan 18, 2011
- One killed after Israeli air strikes hit the Gaza Strip in response to rocket fire - Aug 17, 2011
- Israel considers referendum on peace deal with Palestinians - Sep 22, 2010
- Two killed in Israeli strike against Gaza - Jul 22, 2010
- 15 Palestinians detained in Gaza - Mar 24, 2010
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Israeli army strikes Gaza militant targets, four injured - Jan 02, 2010
- Three Palestinians killed in Gaza Strip - Sep 13, 2010
- Israeli aircraft carry out airstrikes in Gaza - Jan 08, 2010
Tags: attempted assassination, beit lahiya, fire rockets, hamas, incoming missile, islamic jihad, israeli air force, israeli territory, jerusalem post, khaled, military response, missile strike, mortar shells, northern gaza, palestinians, rocket fire, shalan, terror group, tunnels, zionist entity