Israel warns of threat of Hezbollah attackFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 4:03 am ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, Feb 2 (DPA) Israel’s counter-terrorism bureau warned Sunday of a “concrete, high-level threat” that the Lebanese Hezbollah guerrilla group planned an attack against Israelis to avenge the February 2008 assassination of Imad Mughniyah, its deputy leader.”The Hezbollah organization is apparently prepared to carry out a serious attack (assassination, kidnapping) against an Israeli target, including abroad. This attack threatens every Israeli, especially those holding senior position,” a statement from the counter-terrorism bureau said.
The statement warned Israelis travelling overseas to take precautions, and to avoid visiting countries the bureau has warned against.
Israelis abroad should be on the alert and avoid, for example, tempting offers, whether for business or pleasure, from suspicious or unfamiliar persons, and should refrain from unscheduled meetings in remote areas after dark.
Israelis staying abroad for long periods of time should also vary their routine, for example by changing hotels or switching between restaurants and other venues visited frequently.
Mughniyah, who was responsible for attacks against Israel and western targets, was killed by a car bomb in Damascus in February 2008.
Although no one claimed responsibility for his assassination, Hezbollah blamed Israel and swore it would extract revenge.
- Hezbollah link to Israeli car blast? - Feb 13, 2012
- Hezbollah might attack Israeli target to help Iran: Israel - Feb 21, 2011
- Israeli embassy car targetted in Delhi, four injured in blast (Roundup) - Feb 13, 2012
- Syria was shocked at top Hezbollah operative's assassination two yrs back: Wikileaks - Dec 08, 2010
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- Iran behind attack on Israeli missions: Netanyahu (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Iranians may be suspects, but cannot rule out other jihadis: Experts - Feb 16, 2012
- WikiLeaks: Pakistan spy chief shared intelligence with Israel post 26/11 - Dec 02, 2010
- Israel issues global terror warning amid Hezbollah threat - Feb 15, 2008
- Lebanese Shias mourning death of leader Fadlallah (Lead) - Jul 04, 2010
- Latest WikiLeaks cables reveal Israel's alliances and worst fears - Apr 08, 2011
- Sleep with gun under your pillow: Israeli diplomats told - Feb 15, 2012
- Hezbollah chief praises Israeli border clash as 'heroic' - Aug 04, 2010
- Israel warns of terror attack in India - Oct 16, 2009
- Israeli travel advisory says India under terror threat - Oct 16, 2009
Tags: car bomb, counter terrorism, damascus, deputy leader, dpa, feb 2, guerrilla group, hezbollah, hezbollah guerrilla, imad mughniyah, israel, israelis, jerusalem, long periods of time, pleasure, revenge, target, targets, tempting offers, unscheduled meetings