Israel to release speaker of Hamas-dominated councilJune 17th, 2009 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
Ramallah, June 17 (DPA) An Israeli military court decided Wednesday to release the speaker of the Hamas-dominated Palestinian Legislative Council, who has been held in an Israeli jail for 34 months.
Hazem Dweik, Aziz Dweik’s son, confirmed his father would be freed once the family paid his 5,000 shekel ($1,250) bail. The release was expected within hours, he said.
Dweik was detained in a wave of arrests of Hamas legislators in August 2006, after Hamas and two other armed groups captured an Israeli soldier during a cross-border raid launched from the Gaza Strip.
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Palestinian women protest in support of hunger striker - Mar 08, 2012
- Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap deal to start Tuesday - Oct 15, 2011
- Israel arrests Palestinian lawmaker - Jul 01, 2010
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- Hamas unable to pay salaries to its employees - May 03, 2010
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Israel names Palestinian prisoners to swap for Shalit - Oct 16, 2011
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Israel frees 19 Palestinian prisoners in proof-of-life deal - Oct 02, 2009
- Israel to ease Gaza blockade - Jun 17, 2010
- Gaza-bound ship refuses Israeli order to change course (Lead) - Jun 05, 2010
- Israeli Navy seizes Gaza-bound aid ship (Second lead) - Jun 05, 2010