Israel to release 250 Palestinian prisonersNovember 30th, 2008 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, Nov 30 (Xinhua) The Israeli cabinet Sunday decided to release 250 Palestinian prisoners as a goodwill gesture ahead of the Muslim festival of Eid-Al-Azha.The decision was made at a weekly cabinet meeting despite objections from a number of ministers, local news service Ynet reported.
The main opposition party Likud opposed the move with one of its lawmakers arguing that the release of prisoners will not promote the diplomatic process but harm the security of Israeli citizens, it added.
Earlier this month, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert met Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and informed him about the decision to release prisoners.
In August, Israel released 198 Palestinian prisoners as a goodwill gesture to Abbas.
- Israel to release 230 Palestinian prisoners Tuesday - Dec 08, 2008
- Israel to free 550 prisoners in swap deal - Dec 15, 2011
- Israel: Palestinian President Abbas set impossible conditions for direct peace talks - Jul 29, 2010
- Israel to blame if talks fail: Abbas - Aug 30, 2010
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- Al-Jazeera exposed 'Palestine Papers' has made Israel-Palestine peace pact harder: US - Jan 25, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
- Netanyahu expects direct talks to begin in two weeks - Aug 01, 2010
- Olmert, Abbas meet in Jerusalem - Nov 17, 2008
- Palestinian leadership agrees to indirect talks with Israel - Mar 07, 2010
- Israel nod for Quartet peace plan, urges Palestinian acceptance - Oct 02, 2011
- Abbas pledges to continue peace talks with Israel - Jan 23, 2012
- Abandon new settlement plans, Russia urges Israel - Oct 17, 2011
- Netanyahu leaves for US for peace talks relaunch - Aug 31, 2010
Tags: ehud olmert, goodwill gesture, israeli prime minister ehud olmert, local news service, mahmoud abbas, main opposition party, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, party likud, president mahmoud abbas, prime minister ehud olmert