Israel to release 230 Palestinian prisoners TuesdayDecember 8th, 2008 - 2:23 am ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, Dec 8 (Xinhua) Israel Sunday said that it will release 230 Palestinian prisoners Tuesday as a goodwill gesture to mark the upcoming Muslim festival of Eid al-Adha. According to a statement issued by the Israeli prime minister’s office, the ministerial committee overseeing the release of Palestinian prisoners made the decision following a cabinet approval of the release last Sunday.
Some 20 names were removed from the original list following objections by several ministers who were opposed to releasing prisoners into the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip.
The 230 prisoners to be released are all Fatah-affiliated and are “without blood on their hands”, according to the ministerial committee.
The committee is headed by Israel’s Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, who promised to set free 250 Palestinian prisoners during his November meeting in Jerusalem with Palestine’s President Mahmoud Abbas.
In August, Israel released 198 Palestinian prisoners as a goodwill gesture to Abbas.
More than 11,000 Palestinian prisoners are currently lodged in Israel’s jails, most of them were arrested during the second Intifada (uprising) that erupted against Israel in Palestinian territories in late September 2000.
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Scheduled Palestinian prisoner release thrown into doubt - Dec 15, 2008
- Israel: Palestinian President Abbas set impossible conditions for direct peace talks - Jul 29, 2010
- Abbas receives 198 Palestinians freed by Israel (Lead) - Aug 25, 2008
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestine rejects US call to start direct talks - Jul 18, 2010
- Israel to release 250 Palestinian prisoners - Nov 30, 2008
- Palestine rivals Fatah, Hamas agree to form interim unity government - Apr 28, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Palestinian leadership agrees to indirect talks with Israel - Mar 07, 2010
- Olmert, Abbas meet in Jerusalem - Nov 17, 2008
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: ehud olmert, goodwill gesture, israeli prime minister, mahmoud abbas, muslim festival, palestinian prisoners, president mahmoud abbas, prime minister ehud, prime minister ehud olmert, second intifada