Israel to offer “extensive and tempting” withdrawal plan to PalestineAugust 15th, 2010 - 2:04 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Aug 15 (ANI): In an attempt to spread peace, Israel is preparing an “extensive and tempting” withdrawal plan to give up 90 percent of the West Bank and evacuate 50,000 Jewish settlers, which would be offered by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during direct negotiations with Palestine.
“Palestinian sources who had been briefed on the latest US-led diplomacy said Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu would offer an “extensive and tempting” withdrawal plan when long-awaited direct talks begin,” The New York Times quoted an Arab newspaper al-Sharq al-Awsat report, as saying.
Netanyahu wants to get around the impasse by proposing an interim agreement, under which 90 percent of the land would be transferred to the Palestinians and 50,000 of the estimated 350,000 settlers would be removed.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas had been refusing to begin direct Israel-Palestinian negotiations unless Netanyahu agrees in principle to seek a final peace pact based on the borders before the 1967 Six-Day War.
Netanyahu, however, has ruled that out because it would leave all of the West Bank in Palestinian hands.
According to the sources, the offer matches the stand of the Hamas organization, which would welcome any new Israeli withdrawal, as long as this does not force the Palestinians to give up on the rest of the territory.
Indirect Israeli-Palestinian talks, through US mediator George Mitchell, have gone nowhere, the paper states.
The US State Department said that Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton had discussed breaking the deadlock in direct talks with Netanyahu. (ANI)
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
- US concerned over Israeli housing construction in West Bank - Aug 10, 2011
- Netanyahu calls for stepped up settlement construction - Nov 02, 2011
- Netanyahu expects direct talks to begin in two weeks - Aug 01, 2010
- Israel welcomes invitation to resume peace talks - Aug 20, 2010
- Middle East peace talks in jeopardy - Sep 27, 2010
- Israeli defence minister to meet Palestine PM - Jul 05, 2010
- Netanyahu leaves for US for peace talks relaunch - Aug 31, 2010
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- Russia urges Israel to halt settlement construction - Nov 03, 2011
- Israel rebuffs Obama's 1967 borders call - May 20, 2011
- Obama convenes Mideast peace talks - Sep 01, 2010
- Al Qaeda providing free electricity in Yemen - May 03, 2012
- Israel nod for Quartet peace plan, urges Palestinian acceptance - Oct 02, 2011
- Court orders halt to construction in Israeli settlement - Jan 24, 2011
Tags: benjamin netanyahu, breaking the deadlock, final peace, hillary rodham clinton, interim agreement, israeli prime minister, jewish settlers, mahmoud abbas, mediator george mitchell, minister benjamin netanyahu, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, palestinian sources, paper states, peace israel, peace pact, president mahmoud abbas, prime minister benjamin, us state department, withdrawal plan