Israel to be generous in Palestine deal: NetanyahuMay 25th, 2011 - 8:28 am ICT by IANS
Washington, May 25 (IANS) Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has told the US Congress that his country would be generous with the size of a future Palestinian state, and was “willing to make painful compromises” to achieve peace.
However, he refused to restore the border at pre-1967 lines.
“Israel will be generous on the size of the Palestinian state, but will be very firm on where we put the border with it. This is an important principle,” Netanyahu told Congress, BBC reported.
A Palestinian official said the Israeli PM had added more obstacles to a deal.
Last Friday, Netanyahu had rejected US President Barack Obama’s call for a peace deal with the Palestinians based on pre-1967 borders, plus land swaps.
In a landmark speech to the State Department last Thursday, Obama said the peace negotiations should result in “a viable Palestine, and a secure Israel”.
- Israel rebuffs Obama's 1967 borders call - May 20, 2011
- Palestinian group accuses Obama of u-turn - May 25, 2011
- Obama advocates two-state solution in Middle East - May 20, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Netanyahu's heckler identified - May 25, 2011
- Israeli FM breaks ranks with Netanyahu over peace talks with Palestinians - Sep 29, 2010
- Israel to offer "extensive and tempting" withdrawal plan to Palestine - Aug 15, 2010
- Palestinian UN bid not to be withdrawn even if talks resume: Abbas - Oct 11, 2011
- Israel nod for Quartet peace plan, urges Palestinian acceptance - Oct 02, 2011
- Obama calls Abbas, favours direct Palestine-Israel talks - Jul 10, 2010
- Israel announces building plan, rejects preconditions - Aug 16, 2010
- Russia urges Israel to stop settlement expansion - Jun 09, 2012
- Israel to reject preconditions for resuming direct peace talks - Aug 16, 2010
- Israel: Palestinian President Abbas set impossible conditions for direct peace talks - Jul 29, 2010
- Palestine leader heads to India next week (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
Tags: barack obama, benjamin netanyahu, borders, compromises, israeli prime minister, land swaps, landmark speech, last friday, last thursday, minister benjamin netanyahu, obstacles, palestine, palestinian official, palestinian state, palestinians, peace deal, peace negotiations, prime minister benjamin, state department, us congress