Israel slams South Africa over Palestinian territory labelAugust 24th, 2012 - 5:35 am ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, Aug 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Israel has condemned the South African government’s decision to label goods produced in the occupied Palestinian territories.
Under the new rules, the South African government has announced that goods of Jewish settlements in the West Bank can no longer be sold in the country under the label “Made in Israel”.
Israeli Foreign Ministry has summoned the South African ambassador for clarification in this regard.
The Israeli Foreign Ministry called the measure as discrimination based on national and political criteria provoking a boycott of Israeli products.
“Such exclusion and discrimination bring to mind ideas of a racist nature which the government of South Africa, more than any other, should have wholly rejected,” the ministry said in a statement.
The South African government said that they have done this “in line with South Africa’s stance that recognises the 1948 borders delineated by the UN and does not recognise occupied territories beyond these borders as being part of the state of Israel.”
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Netanyahu calls for stepped up settlement construction - Nov 02, 2011
- Russia urges Israel to halt settlement construction - Nov 03, 2011
- 'Terrorists may get hold of Syrian chemical weapons' - Jun 12, 2012
- Russia urges Israel to stop settlement expansion - Jun 09, 2012
- Israel frees Egyptian prisoners under swap deal - Oct 28, 2011
- Iran rejects Israeli accusations over Bulgaria blast - Jul 19, 2012
- Russia to give $2 mn for Palestinian refugees - Aug 03, 2012
- Gaza stops Palestinians from approaching Israel border - Jun 05, 2011
- Abandon new settlement plans, Russia urges Israel - Oct 17, 2011
- Madonna fans oppose bombing Iran before Israel gig - Feb 10, 2012
- Israel declines to accept Palestine's Unesco membership - Nov 01, 2011
- Israeli diplomats flee Cairo after attack on embassy - Sep 10, 2011
- Israel warns against concessions to Tehran - May 22, 2012
- World approaching 'military option' on Iran: Israel - Nov 05, 2011
Tags: borders, boycott, clarification, discrimination, government of south africa, israeli foreign ministry, israeli products, jewish settlements, occupied palestinian territories, occupied territories, palestinian territory, political criteria, racist nature, ria novosti, slams, south african ambassador, south african government, state of israel, tel aviv, west bank