Israel sends reservists to Gaza, signals end to warJanuary 12th, 2009 - 5:10 pm ICT by ANI
Jerusalem, Jan.12 (ANI): Israel started pouring reservists into Gaza on Monday as the death toll in its war on Hamas neared 900, but officials said an end to the fighting might be in sight as more ceasefire talks were scheduled in Egypt.
According to Fox News, Israeli ground forces made their deepest foray yet Sunday into Gaza’’s most populated area, with tanks rolling into residential neighborhoods and infantry fighting urban warfare in streets and buildings with Hamas militants who kept up their rocketing of southern Israel.
An Israeli army spokeswoman said residential neighborhoods in Gaza are riddled with homemade bombs and booby traps, including mannequins placed at apartment entrances to simulate militants and rigged to explode if soldiers approach.
The army “is advancing more into urban areas,” said the spokeswoman, Maj. Avital Leibovich. “Since the majority of the Hamas militants are pretty much in hiding in those places, mainly urban places, then we operate in those areas.”
On Monday, Israeli navy gunboats fired more than 25 shells at Gaza City, setting fires and shaking office buildings, including the local bureau of The Associated Press. The military said that in general, the targets are Hamas installations but had no immediate information about the shelling that began just after midnight. (ANI)
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Israeli planes strike Gaza - Sep 16, 2010
- Three Palestinians killed in Gaza Strip - Sep 13, 2010
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Two killed in Israeli strike against Gaza - Jul 22, 2010
- Israeli settlers legitimate targets: Hamas - Sep 04, 2010
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Israel fires at two Palestinians on Gaza border - Jan 18, 2011
- Israel allows spare parts, engine oil into Gaza - Sep 13, 2010
- Seven mortar shells fired from Gaza Strip into Israel - Dec 21, 2010
- Gaza Flotilla Intercepted By Israeli Army, Casualties May Go Up - May 31, 2010
- Israeli warplanes hit Hamas targets in Gaza - Jul 01, 2010
- Palestinian militants fire rocket into Israel - Sep 04, 2010
- Israeli army strikes Gaza militant targets, four injured - Jan 02, 2010
- Israeli jets raid Gaza - Feb 12, 2012
Tags: avital, booby traps, ceasefire, foray, fox news, gaza city, hamas, hamas militants, homemade bombs, israeli army, israeli navy, leibovich, mannequins, navy gunboats, office buildings, residential neighborhoods, setting fires, southern israel, urban places, urban warfare