Israel says Arabs are hiring spies through FacebookMay 19th, 2009 - 4:29 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 19 (ANI): Israel has asked its public to be careful while using Facebook because, it says, Arabs are trying to recruit spies on the popular social networking site.
The Shin Bet security agency warned Israelis against replying to unknown messages, or divulging sensitive information the internet.
The agency mentions numerous incidents in which violent groups tried to recruit Israelis through Facebook and other networking sites.
In one case, an Israeli Facebook user was contacted by a man who introduced himself as a Lebanese agent and offered money for information about Israel.
The agency also asks Israelis to be wary of seemingly innocent meetings or dates proposed online by people they do not know.
“Terror organizations are using these sites to tempt Israelis to meet up in person in order to either abduct them, kill them or recruit them as spies,” The Telegraph quoted Shin Bet, as saying.
An Israeli teenager was killed eight years ago when he was lured to the West Bank by a young woman he met on the internet.
In recent years, militants have turned to the Internet to battle Israel. Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip have long been using Google Earth for better precision when firing rockets at southern Israeli cities.
Facebook does prohibit content that is hateful or threatening, and users are barred from doing “anything unlawful, misleading, malicious, or discriminatory.”
But, the networking site does not hand-screen all the content on the site before it is posted. (ANI)
- Terorrist groups using Facebook for recruitment - Jan 10, 2012
- Facebook could be taken to court over alleged tracking - Nov 17, 2011
- Cyber criminals to target social networks, mobile devices: Security Report - Apr 06, 2011
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Facebook sees India among key growth areas - Feb 03, 2012
- Facebook in row over moderation process - Mar 03, 2012
- 20pc of Facebook users exposed to malware - Nov 25, 2010
- Israel arrests top Hamas militant - Mar 14, 2010
- Study reveals that 1 in 3 Facebook users are getting bored with the site - Jun 08, 2012
- Hamas uncovers spy network collaborating with Israel - Sep 24, 2010
- British consulate employees in Jerusalem charged for arms trafficking - Jan 04, 2011
- 3.2 percent of Indian GDP due to Internet: Google - Mar 16, 2012
- One killed after Israeli air strikes hit the Gaza Strip in response to rocket fire - Aug 17, 2011
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Facebook Attacked By New Worm, Again! - Oct 02, 2010
Tags: arabs, earth, facebook, gaza strip, google, hamas, hamas militants, israel, israeli cities, israelis, rockets, shin bet security agency, social networking site, spies, teenager, telegraph, terror, violent groups, west bank, young woman