Israel on alert for Syrian weaponsJuly 19th, 2012 - 11:51 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 19 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Israel is concerned that the Lebanese Hezbollah movement will try to get hold of Syrian army arsenal, including missiles and chemical weapons, Defence Minister Ehud Barak said Thursday.
Barak toured the border with Syria and warned of the possibility that Hezbollah could try to move Syria’s chemical weapons into Lebanon.
“There are also people who came to Syria from outside - from Global Jihad and Al Qaeda and other Islamists - meaning that as long as the fighting carries on we will have even greater chaos in Syria the day after Assad,” Barak said.
Barak Wednesday spoke with US Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta, telling him of Israeli concerns about the situation in Syria.
“We are also closely tracking the possibility that Hezbollah will try to move advanced military platforms or chemical weapons from Syria to Lebanon,” he said.
Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah confirmed Wednesday that Syria provided arms not only to Hezbollah, but to terrorist groups in Gaza as well.
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- 'Terrorists may get hold of Syrian chemical weapons' - Jun 12, 2012
- Lebanon halts ship carrying arms for Syria rebels - Apr 29, 2012
- Russia denies sending chemical weapons to Syria - Aug 21, 2012
- US imposes sanctions on Hezbollah leaders - Sep 14, 2012
- Syria's use of chemical weapons unacceptable: Pentagon - Jul 25, 2012
- Iran rejects Israeli accusations over Bulgaria blast - Jul 19, 2012
- Russia reminds Syria of 1925 chemical weapons ban - Jul 25, 2012
- Israel worried over Syrian missiles to Hezbollah - Mar 20, 2012
- Syria to use chemical weapons against foreign attack - Jul 23, 2012
- Russian troops won't be sent to Syria: Lavrov - Mar 15, 2012
- Assange interviews Hezbollah chief on Russian channel - Apr 18, 2012
- Russia has tools to pressure Syrian president: Panetta - Mar 08, 2012
- France ready to recognise Syrian opposition as government - Aug 28, 2012
- Obama warns Syria against using chemical weapons - Jul 24, 2012
Tags: al qaeda, assad, chemical weapons, defence minister, ehud barak, gaza, global jihad, hassan nasrallah, hezbollah, leon panetta, military platforms, missiles, moscow, ria novosti, secretary general, secretary of defense, syria, syrian army, terrorist groups, vd