Israel offers Palerstine 93 percent of West Bank: reportAugust 12th, 2008 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, Aug 12 (DPA) Eight months into its difficult negotiations with the Palestinians, Israel has drawn up a detailed proposal for a peace agreement in principle, offering to withdraw from 93 percent of the West Bank, an Israeli newspaper reported Tuesday. The proposal includes arrangements on three bottleneck issues of the decades-old Israeli-Palestinian conflict: borders, the Palestinian refugee problem and security, the authoritative Ha’aretz daily reported quoting a senior Israeli official.
But it sidelines the issue of Jerusalem, postponing a solution on that highly sensitive issue until later, the report said.
Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert presented the proposal to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and was awaiting a reply, Ha’aretz said.
A senior Palestinian negotiator, Saeb Erekat, however, called the report in Ha’aretz a “bunch of half truths”, and vehemently denied that the issue of Jerusalem was off the negotiating table.
Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said he doubted Olmert’s offer was “serious”.
According to the report in Ha’aretz, Olmert offered the Palestinians land in the southern Israeli Negev desert, adjacent to the Gaza Strip, compensating for 5.5 percent of the 7 percent of the West Bank that Israel wants to annex. This would allow Israel to keep its major Jewish settlement blocs.
In addition, the Palestinians would get a free passage, which would link the Gaza Strip with the West Bank, but nominally remain under Israeli sovereignty.
According to the Ha’aretz leak, which comes as US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is expected in the region next week, Olmert feels he has no time left to reach an agreement during his remaining period in office.
He is under police investigation over suspicions of corruption and has announced he will resign as soon as his ruling Kadima party elects a new leader next month.
Olmert and Abbas pledged late last year to try and reach a peace deal by the end of 2008. They have since held troubled but intense negotiations, that ended a seven-year freeze in the peace process.
The Ha’aretz report is the first detailed account leaked of the highly classified negotiations since they began in December. The talks are held away from the media due to their sensitive nature.
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Olmert, Abbas meet in Jerusalem - Nov 17, 2008
- Palestinian negotiators deny Al-Jazeera report on Mideast peace compromise - Jan 24, 2011
- Palestinian negotiators had secretly agreed partial Israel annexation - Jan 24, 2011
- Abbas pledges to continue peace talks with Israel - Jan 23, 2012
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Palestine wants UN vote for statehood - Sep 05, 2011
- Israel warns Palestinians against 'unilateral steps' - Nov 16, 2009
- Israel-Palestine direct talks end in Egypt - Sep 14, 2010
- Israel building rocket battalion - Apr 04, 2012
- Palestinian leaders agreed to define Israel as a Jewish state - Jan 25, 2011
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- Police arrest Israeli settlers after razing outpost - Nov 07, 2011
- Palestine denies reports of reconciliation with Hamas - Jun 19, 2010
- Obama tells Palestine President to have direct talks with Israel - Aug 01, 2010
Tags: condoleezza rice, ehud olmert, gaza strip, ha aretz, israeli negev, israeli palestinian conflict, israeli prime minister, israeli prime minister ehud olmert, israeli sovereignty, mahmoud abbas, palestinian negotiator, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, palestinian refugee problem, peace agreement, president mahmoud abbas, prime minister ehud, prime minister ehud olmert, secretary of state condoleezza rice, state condoleezza rice