Israel navy head in hot water after strip club visitMarch 4th, 2009 - 9:30 pm ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, March 4 (DPA) Israeli legislators Wednesday demanded that military chief of staff Gabi Ashkenazi fire Israel Navy head Eliezer Marom, who finds himself in hot water after visiting a Tel Aviv strip club earlier this week.
Lieutenant-General Ashkenazi has already reprimanded Rear-Admiral Marom, who apologised for the visit and admitted that it “did not accord with what is expected of an officer of his rank”, Israeli media reported.
Newly-elected lawmaker Nahman Shai insisted however that Ashkenazi fire Marom for humiliating women and failing to set a personal example.
The Yediot Ahronot daily had reported Tuesday that Marom, smoking a cigar, drinking alcohol and surrounded by bare-chested women, had been spotted at a strip club in Tel Aviv’s seedy Allenby Street Monday night.
The admiral said initially that he had only stayed for a short while at the club, after entering to say hello to a friend.
But the Ha’aretz daily quoted a witness as saying Marom came to the club by himself, in mufti (ordinary clothes), and stayed for about half an hour.
Marom, 53, was appointed to command the navy in August 2007. According to Ha’aretz, although his seamanship and operational abilities are beyond dispute, “some question his character”.
The daily quoted employees of the strip club as saying that the visit was not Marom’s first.
“He is a familiar face here. We thought he was a Chinese worker because he didn’t come in uniform, and we didn’t know he had a connection to the army,” one said.
Marom has a Chinese grandfather.
- Israel building rocket battalion - Apr 04, 2012
- Majority of Israelis dissatisfied with Netanyahu - Aug 02, 2012
- Israeli Navy chief inspects guard of honour, meets his Indian counterpart - Jan 19, 2010
- Petition to close down Mossad quashed - Apr 19, 2012
- 700 year-old gold coins found in Israel - Jul 09, 2012
- Now, a calmed Israel expresses admiration, sympathy for Egyptians - Feb 14, 2011
- Majority of Israelis oppose unilateral Iran strike: Poll - Mar 08, 2012
- Israel's Mossad agent killed - Jul 18, 2012
- Israel's Mossad agent dies in accident (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- When the Israeli raid went very wrong, very fast - Jun 01, 2010
- Israel mulls junk food tax to check expanding waistlines - Aug 02, 2012
- Four die as Israeli helicopter plunges into sea - Nov 24, 2009
- Madonna fans oppose bombing Iran before Israel gig - Feb 10, 2012
- Majority of Israelis favour freeing militants in return for Shalit - Dec 26, 2009
- Israeli firm develops online health platform - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: allenby, bare chested women, chinese worker, drinking alcohol, eliezer, familiar face, ha aretz, half an hour, hot water, israel navy, israeli media, lawmaker, lieutenant general, marom, military chief, personal example, rear admiral, seamanship, strip club, yediot ahronot daily