Israel may force non-Jewish citizens to vow loyalty to stateOctober 8th, 2010 - 6:56 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct.8 (ANI): Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has backed a loyalty bill that would force new non-Jewish citizens of Israel to pledge allegiance to a “Jewish and democratic state”.
Critics of the bill, which will primarily affect Palestinians marrying Israelis, say it will inflame Arab and international opinion against Israel at a time when it is already facing isolation.
The Independent, however, quoted Netanyahu, as saying that it was “fitting” that those seeking citizenship should pledge loyalty to the Jewish state.
“Israel is the Jewish people’s homeland. It is so in its essence, in its government, its symbols, holidays and language, and that should be reflected by its Citizenship Act,” Netanyahu said in a statement.
Netanyahu’s right-leaning Cabinet is expected to back the bill when it comes for the vote on Sunday.
It will then go up before the Knesset, Israel’s parliament. It will not apply to Jews seeking citizenship under the Law of Return. (ANI)
- Second day of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks begins - Sep 15, 2010
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Israel nod for Quartet peace plan, urges Palestinian acceptance - Oct 02, 2011
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- Netanyahu calls for stepped up settlement construction - Nov 02, 2011
- Israel rebuffs Obama's 1967 borders call - May 20, 2011
- Clashes in West Bank over construction freeze - Dec 02, 2009
- Russia urges Israel to halt settlement construction - Nov 03, 2011
- Israeli FM breaks ranks with Netanyahu over peace talks with Palestinians - Sep 29, 2010
- Israel to be generous in Palestine deal: Netanyahu - May 25, 2011
- Obama advocates two-state solution in Middle East - May 20, 2011
- Publisher regrets suggesting Obama assassination - Jan 22, 2012
- 'Peace accord with Palestinians more urgent for Israel than Iran attack' - Sep 11, 2012
- Free education for children in Israel - Jan 09, 2012
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
Tags: benjamin netanyahu, citizenship act, democratic state, holidays, isolation, israel, israeli prime minister, israelis, jewish citizens, jewish state, jews, knesset israel, law of return, minister benjamin netanyahu, palestinians, parliament, pledge allegiance, pledge loyalty, prime minister benjamin, vow