Israel likely to withdraw from occupied Lebanese villageOctober 6th, 2008 - 5:25 pm ICT by IANS
Beirut, Oct 6 (Xinhua) Israel is likely to withdraw from a southern border village of Lebanon which it has been occupying since the 2006-war against Hezbollah, the An-Nahar newspaper reported Monday.According to the daily, the the United Nations Interim Forces in Lebanon (UNIFIL) command has sent a letter to Lebanese authorities few days ago informing them about the possible pullout by the Israelis.
The UNIFIL hoped in the letter that the Lebanese authorities “will keep the situation calm in the border region” to assure that Israel would not change its mind, the daily added.
Media reports said last month that Israel informed the US it was ready to pull out of Ghajar village, if there was a written guarantee from Lebanon that UNIFIL would be in control of the security in the village.
There have been many calls by Lebanese pro-government leaders for an Israeli withdrawal from the area, in order to dismantle the Hezbollah pretext of keeping its weapons until occupied areas are liberated.
However, Hezbollah made it clear that it will not give up its arms as long as Israel is posing a threat to Lebanon.
The pro-Syria militants fought a bloody 34-day war against Israel in the summer of 2006, which claimed the lives of more than 1,200 people in Lebanon, most of them civilians, and more than 160 Israelis, most of them soldiers.
- Security Council renews mandate of UNIFIL - Aug 31, 2010
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- UN extends peacekeeping mission in Lebanon - Aug 31, 2012
- Isreali army fires on Lebanese soldiers: Report - Sep 21, 2010
- UN force holds talks with Lebanese and Israeli armies - Aug 05, 2010
- Israel builds wall on Lebanese border - Apr 30, 2012
- Hezbollah chief praises Israeli border clash as 'heroic' - Aug 04, 2010
- UN to discuss Israel-Lebanon border incident - Aug 05, 2010
- Lebanese Army fires at Israeli jets flying over Lebanon - Dec 30, 2009
- Lebanese spying for Israel sentenced to death - Aug 18, 2010
- rael should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Israel should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Israel, Lebanon exchange fire on border - Aug 03, 2010
- UN pressing Israel to withdraw from southern Lebanon - May 05, 2009