Israel launches nationwide military drillMay 31st, 2009 - 11:24 pm ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, May 31 (Xinhua) Israel Sunday launched a five-day civil defence exercise, simulating an attack on the Jewish state, a media report said.
The drill, named Turning Point 3, will be the most extensive ever held in the country, the daily Ha’aretz reported.
The exercise is to practice new measures to safeguard civilians, the report said. The exercise will spread to the entire country Tuesday.
The Israeli cabinet held a special session Sunday to discuss the preparedness for the military drill. The government will open its emergency headquarters to rehearse various scenarios, according to the report.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told the cabinet ministers in the briefing that the drill was a “routine” procedure and not directed against any “regional entity”.
“This is a routine action intended to prepare the Home Front for emergency and has nothing to do with intelligence information of any kind,” he was quoted as saying.
“We are required to defend Israel, its cities, various installations, from the possibility of attacks by missiles, rockets or other weapons,” the prime minister said.
On Tuesday morning, after a siren goes off nationwide, the public will be asked to enter the protected spaces and shelters at home, work and schools. Tuesday and Wednesday would see various exercises in a number of municipalities. On Thursday, the police would practice rescue drills for helping people trapped in high-rise buildings.
Some 70 foreign officials and military representatives from countries such as the US, Turkey, Japan, France and Germany are expected to observe the drill, the report said. The Israeli defence authorities would also hold a symposium with the foreign delegates.
- Majority of Israelis oppose unilateral Iran strike: Poll - Mar 08, 2012
- Israeli minister denies plans to strike Iran - Nov 08, 2011
- Majority of Israelis dissatisfied with Netanyahu - Aug 02, 2012
- Iran no threat to Israel: Mossad chief - Dec 30, 2011
- Clinton's remarks on Israeli democracy spark lawmakers' ire - Dec 05, 2011
- Israel building rocket battalion - Apr 04, 2012
- Police arrest Israeli settlers after razing outpost - Nov 07, 2011
- Israel launches nationwide defence drill - May 23, 2010
- Israeli army to block social networking sites - Oct 20, 2010
- Iran behind attack on Israeli missions: Netanyahu (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Netanyahu wants US to threaten attack on Iran - Feb 29, 2012
- Iran behind attack on Israeli missions: Netanyahu - Feb 13, 2012
- Israel leaders misleading public on Iran: Ex-security chief - Apr 28, 2012
- Israel lauds its anti-rocket system - Mar 12, 2012
- US envoy calls for prompt Israeli-Palestinian talks (Lead) - Jun 09, 2009
Tags: benjamin netanyahu, cabinet ministers, civil defence, defence authorities, emergency headquarters, high rise buildings, israeli cabinet, israeli prime minister, jewish state, military drill, military representatives, minister benjamin netanyahu, municipalities, prime minister benjamin, regional entity, routine procedure, siren, special session, tuesday morning, xinhua