Israel lauds its anti-rocket systemMarch 12th, 2012 - 5:46 am ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, March 12 (IANS) Top Israeli officials Sunday praised its homemade anti-rocket system Iron Dome after it intercepted volleys of rockets fired by Gaza militants.
In a sudden flare-up of violence that shattered months of relative calm, Palestinian militants have fired more than 120 rockets into southern Israel since Friday, the Israeli defence ministry said in a statement.
The Iron Dome system intercepted 28 of the 31 Grad rockets fired at major Israeli cities over the weekend, and another seven of 15 rockets fired Sunday, Xinhua reported.
“The system has proven itself very well,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said during his cabinet’s weekly meeting Sunday.
He said the government “will do everything within its power” to procure more batteries in the coming years to improve the protection of the country.
Defence Minister Ehud Barak said Saturday that Iron Dome provided the country’s political and military leadership “greater freedom” to deal with threats, referring to the decision to order the assassination of a top militant in the Gaza Strip Friday, whom the military said had planned to launch an imminent attack on the Israel-Egypt border.
- Two rockets fired from Gaza into Israel despite announced ceasefire - Apr 16, 2011
- Israel fears more rocket attacks - Mar 27, 2012
- Israeli strike kills two in Gaza, Israel deploys anti-missile system - Mar 27, 2011
- US to give $680 mn for Israel's anti-missile system - May 14, 2012
- Pentagon backs expanding Israel's Iron Dome - Mar 28, 2012
- US funding for Israeli air defence - May 18, 2012
- Obama discusses Middle East peace with Netanyahu - Aug 11, 2011
- Israel will hit anyone planning to attack its citizens: PM - Mar 11, 2012
- US concerned about attacks in Israel - Mar 11, 2012
- Israel to deploy anti-missile system - Feb 20, 2012
- Israel, US call off joint military drill - Jan 16, 2012
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- One killed after Israeli air strikes hit the Gaza Strip in response to rocket fire - Aug 17, 2011
- Israeli PM seeks world to set 'red line' for Iran - Sep 03, 2012
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
Tags: benjamin netanyahu, defence minister, defence ministry, dome system, ehud barak, flare, gaza strip, imminent attack, iron dome, israeli cities, israeli officials, military leadership, minister benjamin netanyahu, palestinian militants, prime minister benjamin, rocket system, rockets, southern israel, tel aviv, xinhua