Israel, Hezbollah swap prisonersJuly 16th, 2008 - 2:56 pm ICT by IANS
Rosh Hanikra (Israel), July 16 (Xinhua) Israel and the Lebanese Hezbollah group began swapping prisoners Wednesday at the Rosh Hanikra Lebanon-Israel border crossing. Hezbollah handed over to the Red Cross two black coffins, believed to contain the remains of Israeli soldiers Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev, kidnapped and killed by the Lebanese group two years ago.
Many Israelis, including the members of the dead soldiers’ families and friends, burst into tears when they saw the coffins.
Israel is to determine the identities of the two bodies by DNA tests.
Once the identities are confirmed, Israel will return four imprisoned Hezbollah militants - Maher Kourani, Khodor Zaidan, Mohammed Srour and Hussein Suleiman - and the Lebanese killer Samir Kuntar, who was jailed for life plus 40 years in prison for murdering three of a family and a police officer in Nahariya in 1979.
Israel is also to hand over the bodies of 199 people killed while trying infiltrate northern Israel. The remains have been transported to the border.
- Hezbollah receives coffins of its 2006 war 'martyrs' - Jul 16, 2008
- Israel buries returned dead soldiers - Jul 17, 2008
- Israeli cabinet okays prisoner exchange with Hezbollah - Jul 15, 2008
- Israel-Hezbollah prisoners swap to include 160 Fatah bodies - Jul 14, 2008
- Hezbollah spy arrives in Lebanon after release from Israel - Jun 01, 2008
- Israel, Hezbollah swap prisoners (Lead, changing datelilne) - Jul 16, 2008
- Israeli cabinet approves prisoner swap deal with Hezbollah - Jun 29, 2008
- rael should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Israel should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Israel builds wall on Lebanese border - Apr 30, 2012
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Hezbollah chief praises Israeli border clash as 'heroic' - Aug 04, 2010
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- UN force holds talks with Lebanese and Israeli armies - Aug 05, 2010
Tags: border crossing, coffins, dead soldiers, dna tests, eldad, goldwasser, hezbollah, israeli soldiers, israelis, lebanese group, maher, mohammed, nahariya, northern israel, police officer, red cross, rosh hanikra, suleiman, xinhua, zaidan