Israel-Hezbollah prisoner swap set for this week: reportJuly 7th, 2008 - 2:39 am ICT by IANS
Ramallah/Tel Aviv, July 7 (DPA) The expected prisoner swap between Israel and the Lebanese Hezbollah movement will be carried out in three stages beginning Thursday, the Palestinian Maan news agency reported Sunday evening, citing “informed Palestinian sources”. There was no official confirmation of the report from any other source. Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah said in a speech last week that he expected the swap to start “around July 15 or shortly afterwards and continue for a few days”.
Under the deal, Israel will exchange Samir Kuntar, a Lebanese jailed in 1979 for killing four Israelis during an attack on the coastal town of Nahariya, several living and dead Hezbollah guerrilla’s, and an unspecified number of Palestinian prisoners, in exchange for two Israeli soldiers snatched by Hezbollah during the July 12, 2006 cross-border raid which sparked that summer’s Lebanon war.
Israel, which has received no word on the condition of the soldiers since they were snatched, believes they may be dead.
In an indication the exchange may be imminent, Major-General Gabi Eizenkot, the Israeli army officer in charge implementing the swap declared a cemetery where the bodies of enemy fighters are buried to be a “closed military zone”, the Jerusalem Post daily reported.
Soldiers have begun clearing weeds and bushes that have grown over the graves, and on Friday members of the army’s Rabbinate unit, who will have to exhume the bodies, received emergency call up orders. However, the orders for the exhumations have yet to be given.
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- Hezbollah chief praises Israeli border clash as 'heroic' - Aug 04, 2010
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Hezbollah chief describes Israel as 'state of terror' - Jun 05, 2010
- Israel on alert for Syrian weapons - Jul 19, 2012
- Palestinian women protest in support of hunger striker - Mar 08, 2012
- Israel, Lebanon exchange fire on border - Aug 03, 2010
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Israel-Hezbollah prisoners swap to include 160 Fatah bodies - Jul 14, 2008
- UN force holds talks with Lebanese and Israeli armies - Aug 05, 2010
- Hezbollah spy arrives in Lebanon after release from Israel - Jun 01, 2008
- Abbas welcomes Israel-Hezbollah prisoner swap - Jul 16, 2008
- Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap deal to start Tuesday - Oct 15, 2011
- At least 10 people killed, more than 100 injured in clashes along Israel's borders - May 15, 2011
- Palestinians jailed in Israel go on hunger strike - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: army officer, border raid, coastal town, cross border, enemy fighters, hassan nasrallah, hezbollah, hezbollah guerrilla, israeli army, israeli soldiers, jerusalem post, lebanon war, maan news agency, military zone, palestinian prisoners, palestinian sources, rabbinate, ramallah, sunday evening, war israel