Israel gives go-ahead for Gaza money transferFebruary 6th, 2009 - 5:45 am ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, Feb 6 (DPA) For the first time since its recent military action against Gaza, Israel has given the go-ahead for a cash delivery into the Gaza Strip, Israeli media reports said Thursday.They said 175 million shekels (33 million euros) would be transferred from the West Bank to banks in the Gaza Strip in order to pay around 70,000 employees of the Palestinian Authority of President Mahmoud Abbas.
The reports said Israeli acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert had authorised the delivery against the opposition of Foreign Minister Zipi Livni and Defence Minister Ehud Barak.
The latter had expressed fears the money would fall into the hands of the radical Islamist Hamas organisation which has ruled the Gaza Strip since winning an election there in June 2007, and which opposes Abbas.
The employees of the Palestinian Authority have been receiving their pay from the West Bank since the Hamas takeover, even if they have not been going to work.
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Hamas unable to pay salaries to its employees - May 03, 2010
- Israel decides to ease Gaza land blockade (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Israel lauds its anti-rocket system - Mar 12, 2012
- Israel minister sells luxury apartment after public outcry - Mar 21, 2012
- Hamas PM reshuffles cabinet - Sep 03, 2012
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Netanyahu leaves for US for peace talks relaunch - Aug 31, 2010
- Ban tells Israel of concern over East Jerusalem, Gaza - Feb 25, 2010
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
Tags: cash delivery, defence minister, dpa, ehud barak, ehud olmert, foreign minister, gaza strip, hamas, islamist, israeli media, livni, mahmoud abbas, military action, money transfer, palestinian authority, president mahmoud abbas, prime minister ehud, prime minister ehud olmert, takeover, west bank