Israel deploys Patriot missiles to counter Hezbollah threatFebruary 19th, 2008 - 2:19 pm ICT by admin
Jerusalem, Feb 19 (Xinhua) Israel has deployed a battery of US-made Patriot defence missiles near the northern port city of Haifa to pre-empt possible attacks by Lebanon’s Hezbollah militants, the Ha’aretz daily reported. The battery was put on standby Sunday as part of the precautions against Hezbollah, who threatened to retaliate for the assassination of its top commander regardless of Israeli denial of involvement, the report quoted security officials as saying Monday.
This was the first military deployment since Israel’s month-long war with Hezbollah in the summer of 2006, when the Lebanese guerrillas fired nearly 4,000 rockets into northern Israel.
A Ha’aretz report Sunday said the Israeli defence establishment is concerned that Hezbollah may use an explosives-laden unmanned aerial vehicle to attack northern or central Israel.
To deal with the threat, Israeli Air Force has been placed on alert while the army has also bolstered its forces along the northern border.
Patriot batteries were first deployed in Israel during the 1991 Gulf War. Following last Tuesday’s killing of Hezbollah’s operations chief Imad Mughniyah, the Shia group’s leader Hassan Nasrallah vowed “open war” of revenge on Jewish targets.
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- Israel building rocket battalion - Apr 04, 2012
- Hezbollah chief praises Israeli border clash as 'heroic' - Aug 04, 2010
- Israeli minister denies plans to strike Iran - Nov 08, 2011
- Majority of Israelis oppose unilateral Iran strike: Poll - Mar 08, 2012
- Israel on alert for Syrian weapons - Jul 19, 2012
- Israel should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- rael should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Clinton's remarks on Israeli democracy spark lawmakers' ire - Dec 05, 2011
- Majority of Israelis dissatisfied with Netanyahu - Aug 02, 2012
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Hezbollah might attack Israeli target to help Iran: Israel - Feb 21, 2011
- Israel, US call off joint military drill - Jan 16, 2012
- Police arrest Israeli settlers after razing outpost - Nov 07, 2011
- Israel launches nationwide defence drill - May 23, 2010
Tags: central israel, defence establishment, ha aretz, haifa, hassan nasrallah, hezbollah, imad mughniyah, israeli air force, jewish targets, last tuesday, lebanese guerrillas, military deployment, northern border, northern israel, open war, patriot missiles, security officials, shia, unmanned aerial vehicle, xinhua