Israel declines to accept Palestine’s Unesco membershipNovember 1st, 2011 - 4:51 am ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, Nov 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Israel has refused to accept Unesco’s decision to grant full membership to the Palestinian National Authority (PNA) and threatened retaliatory measures.
The Israeli Foreign Ministry Monday called Palestinian accession to the Unesco “a unilateral manoeuver” that would threaten Arab-Israeli peace talks.
The decision will not turn the Palestinian Authority into a legitimate State but will rather create additional obstacles to a resumption of the talks, the Israeli Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
Tel Aviv also warned that it would adjust its position toward further cooperation with Unesco.
Earlier Monday, the US threatened to cut off funding for Unesco in response to Palestine’s accession.
Palestine’s membership in the UN cultural body comes a month after it filed a statehood membership bid in the UN, which was later blocked by a US veto in the Security Council.
Palestinian Foreign Minister Riyad al-Malki said that the entry into Unesco was not related to the UN membership bid.
“Our accession to Unesco is a process that has lasted for 22 years, we started it in 1989. Each year the ambassador made the requests and now we could see the result of our efforts,” Al-Malki said at Unesco headquarters. “It is not and has never been connected to the Palestinian statehood bid at the UN.”
- Netanyahu calls for stepped up settlement construction - Nov 02, 2011
- Israel calls for elections to replace Palestinian leader - Aug 23, 2012
- Russia urges Israel to halt settlement construction - Nov 03, 2011
- Palestine becomes Unesco member; US upset - Nov 01, 2011
- UAE welcomes Palestine's Unesco membership - Nov 01, 2011
- Palestine wants UN vote for statehood - Sep 05, 2011
- Israel slams South Africa over Palestinian territory label - Aug 24, 2012
- Abbas to submit UN bid after General Assembly address - Sep 23, 2011
- Palestine applies for UN membership - Sep 24, 2011
- Gaza stops Palestinians from approaching Israel border - Jun 05, 2011
- Russia to back bid for Palestinian statehood - Sep 23, 2011
- Palestine's Unesco membership reflects global support: Iran - Nov 02, 2011
- UNSC to consider Palestinian statehood bid Monday - Sep 24, 2011
- 'Terrorists may get hold of Syrian chemical weapons' - Jun 12, 2012
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
Tags: 22 years, accession, foreign minister, israeli foreign ministry, israeli peace, legitimate state, malki, nov 1, palestine, palestinian authority, palestinian national authority, palestinian statehood, peace talks, pna, resumption, retaliatory measures, ria novosti, unesco, unesco headquarters, us veto