Israel criticises Palestinian president’s UN speechSeptember 24th, 2011 - 6:08 am ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, Sep 24 (IANS) Israel Friday described Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas’ address to the UN General Assembly as a “speech of incitement”, Xinhua reported.
Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman made the comments while speaking to a TV channel in New York, on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly meetings.
Lieberman, a minister of the Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s cabinet, said that Israel had no choice but to press ahead ” without paying attention, and without making threats.”
He said much of Abbas’ speech was devoted to detailing how settlements have scuttled the peace process.
Israeli opposition leader Tzipi Livni, in his reaction to Abbas’ speech, said Abbas had clearly enlisted world opinion behind his cause to the detriment of Israel’s international standing.
Abbas, during his speech, also called on the UN to admit an independent Palestinian state as a full member based on the 1967 borders with East Jerusalem as its capital.
Minutes before his speech, Abbas formally presented the Palestinian statehood bid to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
Several countries in the council have pledged their support for the statehood bid, but Israel’s close ally the US has indicated that it would use its veto power in the council to stop it.
- Palestine applies for UN membership - Sep 24, 2011
- Palestinian UN bid not to be withdrawn even if talks resume: Abbas - Oct 11, 2011
- Abbas to submit UN bid after General Assembly address - Sep 23, 2011
- Israeli FM breaks ranks with Netanyahu over peace talks with Palestinians - Sep 29, 2010
- Israel calls for elections to replace Palestinian leader - Aug 23, 2012
- UNSC to consider Palestinian statehood bid Monday - Sep 24, 2011
- India backs Palestinian bid for UN membership - Oct 01, 2011
- Arab League for direct Israeli-Palestinian peace talks - Jul 30, 2010
- India reiterates 'unequivocal support' for Palestinian state - Sep 23, 2011
- Russia to back bid for Palestinian statehood - Sep 23, 2011
- Netanyahu calls for stepped up settlement construction - Nov 02, 2011
- Palestine wants UN vote for statehood - Sep 05, 2011
- Israel wants peace with Palestine: Netanyahu at UN - Sep 24, 2011
- Netanyahu's heckler identified - May 25, 2011
- Palestinian group accuses Obama of u-turn - May 25, 2011
Tags: assembly meetings, avigdor lieberman, ban ki moon, benjamin netanyahu, east jerusalem, independent palestinian state, israeli foreign minister, israeli opposition, mahmoud abbas, minister benjamin netanyahu, opposition leader, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, palestinian statehood, president mahmoud abbas, prime minister benjamin, ria novosti, tzipi livni, un secretary general, veto power