Israel calls Palestinian deal a ‘fatal mistake’April 29th, 2011 - 3:20 pm ICT by ANI
Tel Aviv (Israel), Apr. 29 (ANI): The long-awaited reconciliation deal between two Palestinian factions has been described by Israeli President Shimon Peres as a “fatal mistake” that will destroy any hopes of establishing an independent Palestinian state.
A day after Fatah, the party that dominates the West Bank-based Palestinian Authority, and its Islamist rival Hamas, which governs Gaza, unexpectedly patched up their differences to end a four-year rift, Israeli politicians slammed the move, saying that Israel could never work with Hamas, reports The Independent.
Following secret talks in Egypt, the two factions pledged to form an interim government within days and hold elections within the year.
The preliminary agreement was immediately condemned by Israeli politicians, who have shunned Hamas as a terrorist organization bent on the destruction of the Jewish state.
It “is a fatal mistake which will prevent the establishment of a Palestinian state and destroy the chances of achieving peace and stability in the region,” Peres said.
Many observers have long believed that peace talks will not succeed as long as Gaza and its 1.5 million Palestinian inhabitants are excluded from a peace deal reached only with the Palestinian Authority. (ANI)
- Hamas, Fatah sign reconciliation deal - May 05, 2011
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Palestinian group accuses Obama of u-turn - May 25, 2011
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- India welcomes Fatah-Hamas agreement - May 06, 2011
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Hamas announces the formation of new Gaza government - Mar 11, 2011
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- Russia urges Israel to stop settlement expansion - Jun 09, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestine rivals Fatah, Hamas agree to form interim unity government - Apr 28, 2011
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: fatah, fatal mistake, gaza, hamas, independent palestinian state, interim government, israeli politicians, israeli president, jewish state, palestinian authority, palestinian factions, peace and stability, peace deal, peace talks, preliminary agreement, secret talks, shimon peres, tel aviv israel, terrorist organization, west bank