Israel building rocket battalionApril 4th, 2012 - 12:13 am ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, April 3 (IANS) The Israeli military is setting up a rocket battalion to help minimize civilian casualties in future combat operations in the Gaza Strip.
Israel mostly relies on aircraft armed with heavy ordnance to target Palestinian militant groups and their infrastructure in periodic fighting in the coastal territory.
The new battalion, part of the army’s Artillery Corps, will fire a precision-strike rocket with a 20-kg warhead, Xinhua reported quoting the Ha’aretz daily.
With the exception of the US-made Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS), which the Artillery Corps began using in the 1990s, the Israeli military has generally refrained from using rockets.
But recent technological developments have significantly lowered costs and improved the accuracy of rockets, making them attractive to the army, whose battles are increasingly waged in densely populated urban areas.
“With this device, which is a sort of mini-bomb, we can control the extent of the damage,” a senior artillery officer told Ha’aretz.
According to plans currently being drawn by the army’s Ground Forces Command, troops will evacuate a targeted building before a rocket is fired.
The battalion, scheduled to begin operating next year, will initially be armed with a rocket with a range of up to 40 km, and with super long-range rockets in the coming years.
- Israeli army to acquire long-range rockets - Mar 15, 2012
- Israeli army to acquire rockets - Mar 15, 2012
- India, Russia to make multiple rocket systems - Sep 06, 2012
- Majority of Israelis dissatisfied with Netanyahu - Aug 02, 2012
- Israel seeks advanced missiles for new gunboats - Jul 09, 2012
- Iran no threat to Israel: Mossad chief - Dec 30, 2011
- Israeli army to block social networking sites - Oct 20, 2010
- Majority of Israelis oppose unilateral Iran strike: Poll - Mar 08, 2012
- Israeli minister denies plans to strike Iran - Nov 08, 2011
- 700 year-old gold coins found in Israel - Jul 09, 2012
- Israel fears more rocket attacks - Mar 27, 2012
- S. Korea hold new massive army, air force drills in show of force against N. Korea - Dec 23, 2010
- China conducts two military drills to test long-range striking ability - Jul 29, 2010
- Israeli firm develops online health platform - Apr 20, 2012
- World media looks at Indian missile through China prism - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: 1990s, artillery officer, battalion, bomb, civilian casualties, combat operations, command troops, gaza strip, israeli military, launch, multiple launch rocket system, ordnance, palestinian militant groups, precision strike, rockets, technological developments, tel aviv, urban areas, warhead, xinhua