Israel appoints new envoy to WashingtonMay 4th, 2009 - 11:56 pm ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, May 4 (DPA) Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has confirmed the appointment of Michael Oren as the country’s new ambassador to the US, the premier’s office announced Monday.
Oren, the preferred candidate of Netanyahu and Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman, will replace Sallai Meridor, who asked to be relieved of his duties.
A US-born historian, Oren is a senior fellow at the Shalem Centre, a Jerusalem think tank, and is currently a guest lecturer at Georgetown University. He is the author of “Six Days of War”, an account of the 1967 Middle East War, and “Power, Faith and Fantasy”, a history of US involvement in the Middle East.
Oren, born in 1955, was educated at Princeton University, and immigrated to Israel in the 1970s. In addition to his books, he has frequently commented on the Middle East for international media outlets.
He recently caused a storm in Israel by reportedly speaking out in favour of a unilateral Israeli withdrawal from the West Bank, a position Netanyahu does not endorse.
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- Israel closely monitoring Syrian violence - Jul 19, 2012
- Iran behind attack on Israeli missions: Netanyahu (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Israel envoy admits that ties with US in 'crisis of historic proportions' - Mar 16, 2010
- Israeli PM's father passes away - Apr 30, 2012
- The struggle is not over: Israeli PM on 9/11 - Sep 11, 2011
- Middle Eastern Peace Talks To Continue In Jerusalem On September 14 and 15 - Sep 06, 2010
- Palestinian President Abbas UN, EU to draft new peace plan - Jan 01, 2011
- Israeli FM breaks ranks with Netanyahu over peace talks with Palestinians - Sep 29, 2010
- Krishna leaves for Israel, Palestine Sunday - Jan 06, 2012
- Arab League for direct Israeli-Palestinian peace talks - Jul 30, 2010
- Israel backs India for UN permanent seat - Jan 10, 2012
- Blast in Israel embassy car injures four, Iran blamed (Intro Roundup) - Feb 13, 2012
- Palestine rejects US call to start direct talks - Jul 18, 2010
- Israeli minister demands air, sea blockade on Iran - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: avigdor lieberman, benjamin netanyahu, days of war, dpa, foreign minister, georgetown university, guest lecturer, international media outlets, israeli prime minister, israeli withdrawal, michael oren, middle east war, minister benjamin netanyahu, new ambassador, preferred candidate, prime minister benjamin, princeton university, shalem, six days, west bank