Islamist leader to talk with Taliban over peace in SwatFebruary 17th, 2009 - 3:40 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 17 (IANS) Maulana Sufi Muhammad, the chief of a banned Islamist group that entered into a deal with the government to implement Sharia laws, will hold talks with the Taliban for restoration of peace in Pakistan’s Swat Valley, a media report said Tuesday.
The Tehrik-e-Nifaz-e-Shariat-e-Mohammadi chief is heading a delegation that would meet local Taliban leader Maulana Fazlullah for restoration of peace and disarmament of the insurgents in the region, Geo TV reported.
Fazlullah is the son-in-law of Muhammad.
Muhammad and the North West Frontier Province government Sunday signed an agreement to enforce Sharia laws (Islamic law) in Malakand division, which comprises Swat and its adjoining areas bordering Afghanistan.
Following the agreement, the insurgents announced a 10-day ceasefire in the insurgency-hit Swat Valley, once Pakistan’s most popular holiday destination.
- Islamist leader reaches Swat for talks with Taliban (Lead) - Feb 17, 2009
- Taliban radicals set to walk free following Pak governments sharia capitulation - Feb 18, 2009
- Taliban declares indefinite ceasefire in Swat (Lead) - Feb 24, 2009
- Islamists group to meet Taliban's Pakistan chief (Lead) - Feb 18, 2009
- Taliban, Islamist leader begin talks in Swat - Feb 19, 2009
- Don't look for Sharia in democracy: Sufi Mohammad - May 04, 2009
- Taliban announces indefinite ceasefire in Swat (Second Lead) - Feb 24, 2009
- Islamists take out peace march in Swat - Feb 18, 2009
- Pak ATC summons Sufi Muhammad to appear in court on June 29 - Jun 22, 2010
- Pakistani court acquits militant leader's sons - Nov 18, 2011
- Pro-Taliban cleric Sufi Muhammad arrested in Pakistan (Lead) - Jul 26, 2009
- Islamabad talks to religious group to disarm Taliban - Apr 26, 2009
- NWFP Government signs pact on sharia enforcement in Swat - Feb 15, 2009
- Taliban celebrate imposition of Shariat in Pakistan's northwest (Roundup) - Feb 17, 2009
- Sharia-deal with Taliban has full backing of Zardari, Gilani: Fazl - Feb 19, 2009
Tags: afghanistan, ceasefire, delegation, disarmament, frontier province, geo tv, holiday destination, insurgents, islamic law, islamist group, muhammad, north west frontier, pakistan, peace, province government, sharia laws, swat valley, taliban, taliban leader