Islamic Jihad vows to respond to Israeli ceasefire violationsJune 21st, 2008 - 7:05 pm ICT by IANS
Gaza, June 21 (Xinhua) The Islamic Jihad movement Saturday vowed to respond to any Israeli violation of an Egyptian-brokered ceasefire. Abu Ahmad, spokesman for the movement’s armed wing, said the Islamic Jihad “accepted the ceasefire but would strongly respond to any Israeli violations”.
The six-month ceasefire between the Palestinian factions, led by Hamas, and Israel took hold Thursday. It comes one year after Hamas routed the security forces of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and took over the Gaza Strip.
The ceasefire entered its third day Saturday with some minor violations from the Israeli side.
According to Palestinian security sources, Israeli soldiers stationed on the Gaza border opened fire at some farmers who went near the security fence that separates Israel and Gaza.
Israeli marine vessels also opened fire against Palestinian fishermen who tried to take advantage of the ceasefire to sail deeper in the sea.
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Two killed in Israeli strike against Gaza - Jul 22, 2010
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Palestinian women protest in support of hunger striker - Mar 08, 2012
- US concerned about attacks in Israel - Mar 11, 2012
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Palestinian militants fire rocket into Israel - Sep 04, 2010
- Hamas leader to attend NAM summit in Iran - Aug 25, 2012
- Israel Navy intercepts Gaza-bound aid vessels - Nov 04, 2011
- Seven mortar shells fired from Gaza Strip into Israel - Dec 21, 2010
Tags: ceasefire violations, fishermen, gaza strip, hamas, islamic jihad, israeli side, israeli soldiers, israeli violations, mahmoud abbas, marine vessels, palestinian factions, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, palestinian security, president mahmoud abbas, security fence, security forces, security sources, third day, xinhua