Islamic insurgents ban BBC, VOA broadcasts in MogadishuApril 10th, 2010 - 12:38 am ICT by IANS
Mogadishu, April 9 (IANS) Somali insurgents Friday banned the rebroadcast of programmes by BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) and VOA (Voice of America) on the FM radio stations in Mogadishu, Xinhua reported.
The militants also seized the equipments of an FM station that relays BBC programmes 24×7 in Mogadishu.
“From today (Friday) onwards all FM (stations) that rebroadcast BBC inside the Islamic Wilayats (regions) shall stop broadcasting and all their equipment will be confiscated,” said a statement issued by Al Shabaab, an Islamist group that controls much of south and central Somali regions.
Soon after the statement was issued, fighters from the Islamist rebel movement stormed into an FM station that broadcasts BBC programmes in Mogadishu.
The group accused the BBC of implementing what it termed as the agenda of the coloniser (a term the rebels use to refer to non-Muslims particularly Christians).
Al Shabaab also banned the VOA from rebroadcasting the programmes from its Somali language section in Mogadishu.
Both BBC and VOA use FM stations in Mogadishu and other regions to broadcast their programmes.
- Somali Islamists storm broadcaster - Sep 20, 2010
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- Somali President condemns Mogadishu attack - Oct 05, 2011
- 20 dead in Mogadishu fighting - Jun 19, 2010
- Somalia bomb explosion kills 28 - May 01, 2010
- 9,000 displaced in Somalia violence - May 27, 2012
- 15 killed in bomb blast in Somalia (Lead) - Sep 01, 2010
- UN condemns Somalia suicide attack - Oct 05, 2011
- Lawmaker shot dead in Somalia - Nov 10, 2011
- Drone crashes near Somalia refugee camp - Feb 04, 2012
- 89 Al-Shabaab terrorists held in Somalia - Jul 15, 2012
- Somali insurgents ban UN mine agency - Dec 18, 2009
- Islamist rebels receiving weapons from Yemen: Somali minister - Jan 04, 2010
- 65 dead in Somali car bombing - Oct 04, 2011
- Armed rebels demand end to UN work in Somalia - Jul 21, 2009
Tags: bbc, bbc programmes, british broadcasting corporation, christians, fm radio stations, islamic insurgents, islamist group, language section, militants, mogadishu, muslims, rebel movement, rebels, somali language, voa broadcasts, voa voice of america, voice of america, xinhua