ISI spy claims he was in regular touch with Indian officials

December 12th, 2011 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS  

Manmohan Singh Washington, Dec 12 (IANS) Admitted Pakistani spy Ghulam Nabi Fai has claimed that he was in regular touch with Indian cabinet ministers and Indian embassy officials here over the last 20 years in a bid to resolve the Kashmir issue.

Fai, 62, who last week pleaded guilty in a US court here to federal charges of being a paid agent of the Pakistani Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) made the claim in a statement issued at the Alexandria Court House, Virginia.

No response has been received so far from the Indian Embassy to a request from IANS for comments on Fai’s claims.

“Meeting with Indian officials was fundamental to my strategy in communicating with New Delhi to find the means by which we as Kashmiri Americans could contribute to peace in that part of the world and in resolving the crisis in Kashmir,” he said in the statement entitled “Why Kashmir is important to me”.

“During the past twenty years, I along with Ambassador Yusuf Buch, former Senior Advisor to the United Nations Secretary General and late Dr Ayub Thuker, President, World Kashmir Freedom Movement, have met with various Indian cabinet ministers, belonging to the administrations of prime minister Chandra Shekhar, prime minister (P.V.) Narasimha Rao, prime minister Atal Behari Vajpayee and current Prime Minister, Dr Manmohan Singh.

“And during the past eleven years, I also met with four different officials at the Indian embassy who succeeded each other periodically and introduced me to the new incoming official before leaving for a new post,” he said.

“It has always been my habit to keep the channel of communication open to the Indian embassy. I have met with the officials of Indian embassy in Washington since 1999, sometimes monthly, sometimes bi-monthly,” Fai claimed.

“From March 2006 onward we met monthly and at times twice a month. Whenever we had a seminar or a conference on Kashmir I would invite the Indian ambassador to speak.

“I had a habit of exchanging information and establishing the details in advance with an official of the embassy, and then a final copy of the invitation for the ambassador would be given to the official, whom I usually met at a public cafeteria.”

“An Indian official called me either on July 18 or July 19, 2011, the day I was arrested. He left a voicemail that we must meet, which I heard ten days later after my release,” Fai claimed.

(Arun Kumar can be contacted at

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |