Is the US army ‘babying’ troops with physical training of yoga, resting?March 6th, 2011 - 3:14 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 6 (ANI): The US Army is overhauling its physical fitness tests for the first time in 30 years by adding a new ‘combat readiness test’ that incorporates cross-training, elements of yoga, and the benefits of rest.
Announced on March 1st, the new training will be phased in over the next six months at several bases. However, some seasoned veterans have said that the new regimen coddles soldiers, reports the CS Monitor.
“There have been all kinds of rumors about what this is and what it isn’t. People have said, ‘It’s yoga-like, it’s like Pilates’ … And frankly, it is all those things,” said Gen. Mark Hertling, Deputy Commanding General for Initial Military Training at the US Army’s Training and Doctrine Command, of the new fitness requirements.
“Lots of folks are saying, ‘Ah, you’re babying them. You’ve got to drive them hard, and work them until it hurts,’” he said.
Meanwhile, he argued that the strain accompanying such tough training leads to stress fractures and other injuries.
The result in practical terms is a new Army doctrine extolling the virtues of breaks on long marches - not typically a US military priority. Commanders are discovering, for example, that rest can be regenerative.
For the past 30 years, “We’ve only done push-ups, sit-ups, and a two-mile run. And frankly, none of those address the kinds of things soldiers are asked to do in combat,” said Hertling.
To remedy that, the Army is adding shuttle runs and the long jump. It has also shortened the traditional two-mile run test to 1-1/2 miles, to give commanders a better sense of troops’ ability to run shorter distances more quickly.
The new test also includes a series of drills such as navigating a balance beam while hauling two 30-pound canisters of ammunition and dragging a sled filled with 180-pounds worth of sandbags. (ANI)
- US Army incorporates yoga in training - Mar 07, 2011
- British troops too fat to fight, 30 percent fail basic fitness test - Jul 05, 2010
- Overweight British army chief orders new uniform - Sep 19, 2010
- Attack choppers to add teeth to Indian Army's strike corps (With Images) - May 18, 2011
- Indian Army testing its readiness in Punjab war game - May 04, 2012
- Chinese military develops video game - May 16, 2011
- Indian Air Force holds war games in northeast - Mar 01, 2012
- Indian Army gears up for war game in Rajasthan desert - Apr 24, 2012
- Indian Army to hold summer exercise in Rajasthan desert - Feb 26, 2012
- Army's desert exercise enters crucial phase - Nov 24, 2011
- Pakistan war-gaming to counter India's military plan - Jun 05, 2011
- US army's" revolutionary" XM25 rifles that allow Taliban to only run, not hide - Nov 29, 2010
- Army unit standoff raised in parliament, PM bars debate (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- 'Armed forces urgently need advanced simulators' - Sep 12, 2011
- Nyoma violence: No mutiny, only indiscipline, says army - May 12, 2012
Tags: army doctrine, balance beam, better sense, canisters, combat readiness, commanding general, cross training, doctrine command, elements of yoga, fitness requirements, long jump, military training, new fitness, new test, physical fitness tests, push ups sit ups, readiness test, sled, ups, us army