Is Ted Kennedy ready to handover political baton to wife Vicki?February 21st, 2009 - 3:22 pm ICT by ANI
Boston (US), Feb.21 (ANI): Rumors are doing the rounds that a very sick Massachusetts Senator Ted Kennedy may pass on his political baton to wife Vicki, as he continues to battle with brain cancer.
Kennedys friends say that his battle with brain cancer has entered its final rounds, and that he is presently at an undisclosed location in Florida, resting and sailing.
Hes someplace sunny, near the water, where he can rest and sail. Time is of the essence. Its very sad, the Boston Globe quoted one of his friends, as saying.
Kennedy was rushed to the hospital after he collapsed during a luncheon that followed President Obamas inauguration, and returned to vote on the stimulus bill.
Although family members have said publicly that the senator is doing good, privately those close to Kennedy say he may only have a few months to live.
Kennedy was diagnosed last May with a malignant brain tumor and his prognosis was poor. According to pals, the senator spent every day that he could last summer on the waters off Hyannisport sailing his beloved yacht, Mya.
He has returned to Washington only sporadically since being diagnosed - most dramatically a month after his first seizure to cast the deciding vote on an important Medicare bill.
Because of Kennedys condition, there has been off-the-record speculation about the future of his Senate seat.
A Boston broadsheet described the former Victoria Reggie as a great lawyer with tremendous political skills and great sense of humor.
It portrayed her family as Kennedy doppelgangers and Vickis father, Edmund Reggie, as one of Teds closest companions.
No member of Teds family has said anything to the Globe on the record so far.
Word on the Hill is that some Kennedy staffers are quite unhappy with the rumors that are in circulation, finding it far too critical of Ted.
But, they also admit that Vicki has been a stabilizing influence on Ted. She is credited with helping him to secure re-election in a hard-fought battle with Mitt Romney after the near-career-destroying Palm Beach rape scandal.
Should Kennedy be unable to finish out his senate term, which ends in 2012, a special election must be held within 145 to 160 days of the seat becoming vacant.
The big question is: Will Kennedy make it known that he wants his wife to succeed him. (ANI)
- Vicki Kennedy Thanks Democrats For Passage Of Health Care Reform Bill - Mar 23, 2010
- FBI Files Divulge Death Threats On Ted Kennedy - Jun 15, 2010
- Ted Kennedy Received Death Threats In His Lifetime - Jun 15, 2010
- Vicki Kennedy involved in a family dispute - Aug 06, 2012
- Edward Kennedy, liberal lion, scion of American royalty (Obituary) - Aug 26, 2009
- Australia PM lauds 'great American' - Aug 27, 2009
- Kennedy eulogised at final farewell - Aug 30, 2009
- RIP Ted Kennedy: Lion of the Senate at peace - Aug 26, 2009
- Ted to be inhumed next to brothers - Aug 27, 2009
- Senator Edward Kennedy dies at 77 (Lead) - Aug 26, 2009
- Obama mourns death of 'greatest legislator of our time' - Aug 30, 2009
- FBI files show that Ted Kennedy received threats - Jun 15, 2010
- Senator Byrd Attends Kennedy's Funeral Mass - Aug 30, 2009
- Edward Kennedy to be buried in Arlington Cemetery Saturday - Aug 27, 2009
- Obama to speak at Kennedy funeral; burial at Arlington (Lead) - Aug 27, 2009
Tags: boston globe, brain cancer, broadsheet, doing the rounds, doppelgangers, final rounds, hyannisport, kennedys, malignant brain tumor, medicare bill, senate seat, senator ted kennedy, sense of humor, staffers, ted kennedy, time is of the essence, undisclosed location, us feb, vickis, wife vicki