Is Hitler ’self-portrait’ fake?May 10th, 2009 - 12:57 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 10 (ANI): A self-portrait by Adolf Hitler, which sold at an auction for 10,000 pounds - ten times its reserve price, is now being denounced as fake.
When the painting, signed “A. Hitler 1910″, was sold amid much fanfare last month, the auctioneer’s historical documents expert boasted about the amount of interest that it had received.
However, the same “expert” now admitted that the painting might be a fake after Mandrake pointed out to him that it was, in fact, likely to be a painting of Clapper Bridge on Dartmoor, reports The Telegraph.
“It’s impossible to know exactly if they are genuine,” says Richard Westwood-Brookes, of Mullocks auction house, which sold the picture along with 12 other watercolours that it claimed were by the Nazi leader.
“It’s like if someone gave you a piece of wood and said ‘this is from the Battle of Trafalgar’, you wouldn’t be able to tell 100 per cent if it was. You can never be entirely sure.
“Nobody came forward despite a huge amount of publicity before the sale to say that the paintings were fake,” he added.
Historian David Irving, who initially denounced the “Hitler Diaries” that were published by The Sunday Times in 1983 as forgeries, says he “hopes the buyer has a money-back guarantee”.
He says: “I warned all concerned that the paintings are all fakes. I have handled perhaps a score of genuine Hitler artworks, usually sold by the people, close friends, to whom Hitler had given them. They were all catalogued at one time.” (ANI)
- Stalin death mask goes on sale - Jan 24, 2012
- Hitler's paintings to be auctioned in Sweden - Nov 08, 2011
- Stalin's death mask sold for 3,600 pounds - Jan 25, 2012
- Adolf Hitler's painting on sale - Mar 26, 2009
- Tipu Sultan painting to be auctioned in Britain - Sep 05, 2012
- Sigmund Freud may have had Adolf Hitler painting - Feb 13, 2010
- Sketches of Hitler's artist who erased name from files post war up for grabs - Apr 04, 2011
- Hitler's first self-portrait up for auction - Mar 26, 2009
- 30000 pounds for rare copy of Mein Kampf signed by Hitler - Apr 11, 2011
- British spy sang for Hitler with secret documents in her underwear - Sep 10, 2010
- Did rejection as artist turn Hitler into monster? - Mar 25, 2010
- Hitler's signed autobiography to go on sale - Apr 11, 2011
- Rare portraits of Gandhi to be auctioned in England - Jan 13, 2012
- 100-year-old picture of Hitler, Lenin playing chess emerges - Sep 04, 2009
- Rare German WWI board game to be auctioned - May 26, 2010
Tags: adolf hitler, artworks, auction house, auctioneer, battle of trafalgar, brookes, dartmoor, fake london, fakes, fanfare, forgeries, historian david irving, historical documents, hitler diaries, money back guarantee, nazi leader, self portrait, sunday times, watercolours, westwood