Irish anger over WC play-off handball incident no longer an issue: Henry

July 25th, 2010 - 12:57 pm ICT by ANI  

Arsenal London, July 25 (ANI): Former Arsenal and Barcelona striker Thierry Henry has said that Irish anger over his alleged handball for France during the World Cup play-off last November should subside, as the tournament is now over.

It maybe recalled that Henry’s handball denied Giovanni Trappatoni’s side a place in South Africa.That anger has extended to the Irish expatriates in New York who are not prepared to forgive Henry after his actions set up William Gallas’ controversial equaliser in Paris.

“It was kind of weird, but that’s the way the game is. I already talked a lot about what happened that day, and I made it clear it wasn’t intentional,” News of The World quoted Henry, as saying.

“After the game, I did apologize and I was saying this to the guys on the pitch, to the Irish guys. But, hey, the rules of the game are the referee doesn’t blow the whistle, you’ve got to play,” he said.Henry, 32, announced his retirement from international football last week, and now plays for the New York Red Bulls. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe