Iraq’s al Qaeda chief captured in BaghdadApril 24th, 2009 - 1:10 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 24 (ANI): One of the most wanted al-Qaeda leaders in Iraq, Abu Omar al-Baghdadi, has been arrested by security forces even as his suicide bombers killed more than 70 people in attacks in and around Baghdad.
Baghdadi, a leader of the so-called Islamic State of Iraq, was held in the capital after a tip-off, said Major General Qasim Atta, Baghdad’s security spokesman.
Local television reported he had been taken captive by Iraqi troops in eastern Baghdad.
His detention will be a major blow to insurgents who have recently stepped up their activities with a series of high profile attacks.
So little is known about Baghdadi that there have been suggestions he was a fictitious character made up by al Qaeda to give the insurgency an Iraqi face.
The Islamic State of Iraq is a shadowy, al-Qaeda-linked, Islamist umbrella group that in 2006 declared an independent caliphate in west Baghdad, as well as in areas to the north and west.
Modelled on the Taliban in Afghanistan, it murdered and intimidated anyone who did not adhere to its strict Islamist rulings
At least 22 people were killed when a suicide bomber blew himself next to group of refugees collecting food parcels, SKY News reported.
The second attack was on a crowded restaurant in the town of Muqdadiyah, about 60 miles from Baghdad. More than 20 people were killed and 45 injured in the blast. (ANI)
- Al Qaeda names new leader in Iraq - May 16, 2010
- 41 killed in Iraq bombing - May 21, 2009
- Two Al Qaeda leaders killed in Iraqi-US operation - Apr 20, 2010
- Bin Laden's deputy lauds slain Al Qaeda leaders - May 21, 2010
- Al Qaeda in Iraq confirms deaths of its leaders - Apr 25, 2010
- Islamist insurgent group claims killing 25 US soldiers - Jun 21, 2010
- Al-Qaeda's second-in-command praises militant leaders killed in Iraq - May 25, 2010
- Iraqi troops launch major offensive against Al Qaeda - Apr 26, 2010
- Zawahiri praises Al Qaeda leaders killed in Iraq (Lead) - May 25, 2010
- 10 killed in Iraq bombing - Nov 03, 2011
- 10 dead in Iraq hostage crisis - Oct 03, 2011
- Two top al-Qaida in Iraq leaders killed by Iraqi commandos - Apr 19, 2010
- 61 killed in Iraq attacks (Fourth Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- Toll in two Iraq blasts climbs to 87 - Apr 24, 2009
- Al Qaeda relations chief arrested in Iraq - Apr 22, 2010
Tags: abu omar al baghdadi, al qaeda, atta, baghdad, caliphate, fictitious character, food parcels, insurgency, insurgents, iraqi troops, islamic state of iraq, muqdadiyah, refugees, security forces, sky news, suicide bomber, suicide bombers, taliban, taliban in afghanistan, umbrella group