Iraqi troops launch major offensive against Al QaedaApril 26th, 2010 - 4:40 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, April 26 (DPA) Some 26,000 Iraqi soldiers and police have begun a sweep of the west of the country, searching for armed men from Al Qaeda and related groups, government media announced Monday.
The operation seeks to foil “any terrorist plot that could affect the security situation,” General Bahai Hussein al-Karkhi, chief of police for Iraq’s western, predominantly Sunni Muslim al-Anbar province, told Baghdad’s al-Sabah newspaper.
He said the raids would focus on the area around the cities of Ramadi, Falluja, Hit, Haditha and Qaim, formerly the site of some of the worst fighting between insurgents and US and Iraqi forces.
The Iraqi government has been under particularly intense pressure to crack down on political violence following a string of deadly bombings. Those bombings came amid continued political wrangling over disputed results from March’s parliamentary polls.
Al-Qaeda, in a message posted to Islamist websites, Sunday confirmed the death last week of two of its senior leaders in Iraq, Abu Ayyub al-Masri and Abu Omar al-Baghdadi.
A joint Iraqi-US operation has also been combing remote areas of the north-eastern Iraqi province of Diyala. Police said raids Sunday had uncovered vital documents detailing Al Qaeda’s operations and plans in Iraq and neighbouring countries.
- Al Qaeda in Iraq confirms deaths of its leaders - Apr 25, 2010
- Two Al Qaeda leaders killed in Iraqi-US operation - Apr 20, 2010
- Iraq launches new offensive against Al Qaeda - Apr 26, 2010
- Bin Laden's deputy lauds slain Al Qaeda leaders - May 21, 2010
- Al Qaeda relations chief arrested in Iraq - Apr 22, 2010
- Al-Qaeda's second-in-command praises militant leaders killed in Iraq - May 25, 2010
- Two top al-Qaida in Iraq leaders killed by Iraqi commandos - Apr 19, 2010
- Al Qaeda names new leader in Iraq - May 16, 2010
- Gunmen kill four during hostage crisis in western Iraq - Oct 04, 2011
- Zawahiri praises Al Qaeda leaders killed in Iraq (Lead) - May 25, 2010
- Zawahiri praises Al Qaeda leaders killed in Iraq - May 25, 2010
- Seven killed in Iraq bomb blasts - Aug 04, 2011
- 10 dead in Iraq hostage crisis - Oct 03, 2011
- Eight killed in separate attacks in Iraq - Apr 20, 2010
- Relatives Iraqi war victims to raise judicial case against former President Bush - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: abu ayyub al masri, abu omar, al anbar province, al sabah, armed men, ayyub, bahai, chief of police, deadly bombings, falluja, government media, intense pressure, iraqi government, iraqi soldiers, neighbouring countries, parliamentary polls, political violence, security situation, terrorist plot, vital documents