Iraqi security forces given control of Baghdad’s Green ZoneJanuary 1st, 2009 - 6:44 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Jan 1 (DPA) Iraqi security forces Thursday were handed over control of Baghdad’s fortified Green Zone from US troops in a landmark event leading towards Iraq’s full sovereignty, local media reported.Located in central Baghdad, the Green Zone houses several ministries, the Iraqi parliament and the US and British embassies.
US troops took over the international area and fortified it by building a four-metre-concrete wall around the Green Zone after the US invasion in 2003.
In November, Baghdad and Washington sealed a security deal that will see US troops withdraw from all provinces in Iraq by mid-2009 and will leave the country completely by 2011.
Some 140,000 US troops are currently stationed in Iraq.
- Briton gets life sentence in Iraq for killing two - Feb 28, 2011
- Iraqi PM rules out US troops' stay beyond 2011 - Dec 28, 2010
- Iraq takes airspace responsibility for first time since 2003 - Oct 13, 2011
- Iraq marks first Army Day - Jan 07, 2012
- Iraqis demand end to American occupation - Apr 10, 2011
- 'Only 17,000 US soldiers left in Iraq' - Nov 25, 2011
- Thousands of Iraqis protest against foreign intervention - Sep 17, 2011
- Last US troops out of Iraq (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- Iraq closes border crossing point with Syria - Aug 23, 2012
- Iraqi factions sign peace pact proposed by radical Shiite cleric - Dec 25, 2011
- Iraq starts construction of security wall around Baghdad - May 04, 2010
- Biden arrives in Iraq to mark combat end - Aug 31, 2010
- Iran hails US withdrawal from Iraq - Jan 02, 2012
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011