Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him ‘dog’ (Lead)December 15th, 2008 - 2:33 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad/Washington, Dec 15 (DPA) An Iraqi television news reporter threw shoes at US President George W. Bush and called him a “dog” in Arabic, during a press conference in Baghdad Sunday, US television station ABC has reported.Bush, who was on a farewell visit to Iraq, was speaking at a press conference with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki when the flying footwear assault took place.
The assailant was removed from the room by security staff. None of the two projectiles made contact with their apparent target.
The US president made light of the incident, saying that “whoever it interests - it was a size 10 that he threw at me.”
In Arab culture being attacked with shoes is a sign of profound disrespect, as is being compared to a canine.
- Bush arrives in Afghanistan after eventful Iraqi visit - Dec 15, 2008
- Shoe throwing at Bush evokes mixed reaction in Iraq (Second lead) - Dec 15, 2008
- Iraqi shoe thrower's release delayed by a day, says his brother - Sep 14, 2009
- US committed to Afghanistan: Bush (Lead) - Dec 15, 2008
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist released - Sep 15, 2009
- Biden pays surprise visit to Iraq - Nov 30, 2011
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist's trial adjourned - Feb 19, 2009
- Shoe throwing Iraqi journalist's release from jail postponed by a day - Sep 14, 2009
- Main battle against terror ends: Iraqi PM - Aug 07, 2012
- 835 await execution in Iraqi prisons - Dec 14, 2010
- Shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist alleges torture (Lead) - Sep 15, 2009
- Iraqi shoe thrower freed, alleges he was tortured with electric shocks - Sep 15, 2009
- Iraqi reporter throws shoes at Bush, calls him dog - Dec 15, 2008
- Iraq shares concern over Syrian issue: Annan (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Arab world lauds Iraqi TV journalist shoe-hurling at Bush - Dec 16, 2008