Iraqi poll turnout 51 percent, says election panelFebruary 1st, 2009 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Feb 1 (Xinhua) The Independent High Electoral Commission of Iraq (IHEC) Sunday said that the voter turnout in the country’s provincial election was 51 percent.”The turnout of voters nationwide reached to 51 percent,” Faraj al-Haydari, IHEC chairman, told reporters in Baghdad.
Some 7.5 million out of 15 million eligible voters participated in Saturday’s elections, said Haydari.
He said the turnout was ranging from 40 percent in the Sunni province of Anbar to 65 percent in Salahudin province, which includes the hometown of former president late Saddam Hussein.
Haydari said that final turnout figure for Baghdad is not ready yet, but said that initial reports put it around 40 percent.
In the 2005 parliamentary elections, the voters turnout was 59 percent as Sunni Arabs boycotted the polls because of the US-led invasion that ousted Saddam Hussein.
On Saturday, millions of Iraqis cast their ballots in polling stations across 14 out of 18 Iraqi provinces to choose their leaders in provincial councils.
- TV host killed in Iraq bombing - Apr 04, 2012
- Iraq bans visits to Saddam Hussein's grave - Jan 22, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- 800 bodies found in Iraq mass grave - Apr 15, 2011
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011
- 10 killed, 30 injured in Iraq twin terror attack - Jul 28, 2011
- 900 bodies found in mass grave in Iraq - Jul 07, 2011
- Allawi vows to work with all parties in Iraq - Mar 27, 2010
- Iraq PM calls for vote recount as rival takes lead - Mar 21, 2010
- US military hands over former headquarters to Iraq - Dec 02, 2011
- Suicide car bomb in Iraq kills three securitymen - Jun 06, 2011
- Iraqis stage demonstration after Gates 'US military to stay for years' remark - Apr 10, 2011
Tags: 5 million, al haydari, anbar, baghdad, cast their ballots, electoral commission, eligible voters, former president, hometown, ihec, initial reports, invasion, parliamentary elections, polling stations, provincial councils, provincial election, saddam hussein, sunni arabs, voter turnout, xinhua