Iraqi blasts kill 12, injure 50 (Lead)May 6th, 2009 - 10:32 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, May 6 (DPA) As many as 12 people were killed and another 50 injured Wednesday in terrorist attacks in the Iraqi cities of Baghdad and Kirkuk, police said.
A car bomb at a market in the southern Baghdad neighbourhood of al-Dura went off early Wednesday killing 12 and injuring another 44, police and witnesses said.
Witnesses also said the explosion caused a panic and crush in the market, where fruit and vegetable wholesalers for the city operate.
Another law enforcement source, however, told DPA that only six people were killed. The source added that a second car bomb was found in the market but caused no casualties.
Al-Dura was a focus of sectarian fighting during the worst of the Iraqi civil war in 2006-2007, and was at times controlled by members of the international terrorist network Al Qaeda. The area had been relatively calm for the past 18 months.
Wednesday’s attack was the third car bombing in Baghdad this week. On Monday, two bombs exploded in a car park near the Ministry of Oil, killing four and injuring seven.
An Iraqi member of parliament called for an immediate meeting to discuss the attacks.
Khairallah al-Basri, a Shia member of the trans-sectarian Iraqi National List political coalition, told DPA that “many internal and external parties are behind these explosions and we must intensify efforts to detect them”.
In Kirkuk, 250 km north of Baghdad, a bomb struck an army patrol injuring six soldiers, two of them seriously, a police source said, speaking on the condition of anonymity.
Police arrested two suspects near the blast, the source added.
- Four dead, 13 injured in Baghdad blast - Jun 01, 2009
- Two dead in clashes between Iraqi and Kurdish forces in northern Iraq - Apr 25, 2011
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- 50 killed, hundreds injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- 55 killed, 126 injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- 12 killed in Iraq bombings - Jul 23, 2012
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- 10 dead, 45 wounded in Iraq suicide bombing - Jun 04, 2012
- 13 killed, 74 injured in series of blasts in Baghdad - May 22, 2011
- Al Qaeda suspect killed in Iraq - Jul 26, 2011
- 57 killed in attacks on Iraqi police stations (Third Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- Over 40 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- One killed, nine injured in Iraq bombings - Jul 09, 2012
- Seven killed in Iraq violence - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: anonymity, army patrol, basri, car bomb, car bombing, car park, dpa, explosions, external parties, fruit and vegetable, iraqi cities, kirkuk, law enforcement source, member of parliament, police source, political coalition, second car, six soldiers, terrorist network, vegetable wholesalers