Iraq warns of Syrian crisis’ consequencesJune 24th, 2012 - 9:50 am ICT by IANS
Baghdad, June 24 (IANS) Iraq has warned of Syrian crisis’ consequences, pointing to a potential spillover effect for other countries in the Middle East.
“It is a main concern for us that the crisis might spill over into the neighbouring countries, as no country is immune to such a spillover because of the composition of the societies in these countries…,” Xinhua quoted Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari as saying.
He was speaking to reporters Saturday at a news conference held jointly with visiting Swedish, Bulgarian and Polish foreign ministers.
Zebari said the shooting down of a Turkish warplane over the eastern Mediterranean Friday was a “serious escalation” that might have a worse impact on the region than on Syria itself.
“Iraq is concerned about the Syrian crisis, and its role cannot be bypassed in any decision aimed at solving the crisis. Any regional, Arab or international attempt to jump over its role will not succeed,” he said.
The minister, however, reiterated his country’s long-standing take on the Syrian issue, namely “supporting the political and democratic change in Syria,” as Iraq has always been supportive in the Syrian people’s cause of gaining democracy and freedom.
Iraq’s Shiite-dominated government has maintained close ties with Syria, whose President Bashar al-Assad is a member of the Alawite sect, an offshoot of Shiite Islam.
- Assad's sister flees Syria : Report - Sep 19, 2012
- 'Al Qaeda infiltrating Syria via Iraq' - Jul 05, 2012
- Syrian army committing crimes against humanity: Italian minister - Jul 23, 2012
- Iran rejects foreign intervention in Syria - Aug 08, 2012
- Assad must go: EU foreign ministers - Sep 09, 2012
- Iran stresses support to Syria - Aug 27, 2012
- Russian warships not to enter Syria port: Navy chief - Jul 27, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- India listens in on Iran conference on Syria - Aug 09, 2012
- China terms its criticism by Clinton over Syria unacceptable - Jul 08, 2012
- Assad offers Eid prayers - Aug 19, 2012
- Prepare to take power: Germany, Italy tell Syrian opposition - Aug 30, 2012
- If Syria collapses, a doomsday scenario awaits Middle East: Experts - May 02, 2011
- Russia to discuss Syria with Iran - Jun 12, 2012
- Assad departure no solution to Syrian problems: Russia - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: baghdad, bashar al assad, close ties, consequences, countries in the middle east, democratic change, eastern mediterranean, escalation, foreign minister, june 24, neighbouring countries, news conference, offshoot, polish foreign ministers, sect, shiite islam, spillover effect, warplane, xinhua, zebari